Tempest subwoofer done!! INSANE!!

fire pinch

Pincette a Feu,

How does it compare to SVS,duh you know the answer...the SVS is much larger,bigger amp,moves more air...and sits in a LARGE cabinet...lets see.The SVS winns

The point is the Polk PSW404 bests most small subs,it is better then most $400-500 subs the regular peeps can buy in any store selling moderate quality audio.

I use mine with a PC,with three other subs it does the job. 1.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well... I was sure than any SVS would come on tap compared to those Polk subs but are they able to go deep? For that price, this would be amazing if the Polks would be able to go truely down to 20 Hz. This would be a nice sub to recommand for my parents... so this is why I asked the comparison against SVS. Take for example the PB1 ISD or the PCi sub, they are still cheap for what they can do. Just wondered if the Polks could do the same thing but beeing less powerfull because of a lower price...

El Presidente De La Flour,

The Tempest,Shiva,Zeus and Ali Baba subs are DIY no wonder you get more bass per dollar.

The woofer costs around $125,the MDF under $40 and what is left...a plate amp...say $150-200.Plus your work

Its not rocket science to figure DIY gets the most bass per dollar,even HSU and SVS would be hard pressed to compete here.

Pincette a Feu,

You know people have to have a sense of humor,often I see people so serious and suck up I want to get a sawed off pellet gun and start a paint ball fake blood bath.

Many must think I am not serious at all,you got it,its damn right.Do you think any half serious and sane person would have over a dozen subs at home?Or eight power amps...NOPE.

Today I did open my best sub ever(NOT)the PolkAudio 404 and found out the plate amp is of great quality and the woofer has a solid magnetic structure with...a stapled steel basket(to my shock and horror).Well good stapled steel backets are A ok too...look at SVS.

After I was so depressed I almost put my left foot in...le broyeur a dechets!

8.gif

Oh well... but still, you certainly found that this is a good woofer for the money. To think that the woofer of that calliber would look like the one found in the HGS-18 sub is in our dreams 9.gif However, we never know... 12.gif this is certainly what you had in mind while taking out the woofer from the enclosure! 1.gif Well, Im sure that this is a very good sub for your PC! Stupid question... 5.gif how do you think it compares against your Promedia 5.1 sub? LOL! BTW, is this the 5.1 you have?

Oh and my dad is affraid for the structural integrity of my house when I fire up my Tempest... I dont think that it is this powerfull to do any dammage. The house seems rock solid, I dont see any reason why the Tempest can broke something in the structure...

Oh! I have to add something else... Those who dont know too much with what kind of box the Tempest can go and who beleive that the result is always a big box because most people tell you that, it can go in a moderated box too. In a 4.5 cubic ft sealed box, this is a Mid-Q design and a good compromise between deep and punchy bass. In that sealed box, it would loose some output below 30 Hz but even that, I think that it could be very well compared to subwoofers which cost double its price. Considering the large amount of power the Tempest can have (I didnt succed to bottom out mine yet), to compensate for the drop in output in the deep bass region, you just EQ it. This will make the Tempest work harder but it is definitvely able to take that load of work. Many amps have build-in EQ, you can change the switches to apply the bass boost where you want. That was just my 2 cents 1.gif

L'Oreille,

It would be cool if you could build one, a sub based on the Tempest. I know that you hate huge box so why not a Mid-Q sealed box. It is cheap, not too huge and I think that you would love it very much, considering how much it would cost you. With a nice finish, this would be one of your favorite puppy! 1.gif I saw somewhere that you said you would like to buy a Tumult or MULTIPLE Tumult subs 1.gif But try before the Tempest at least, if you have some timeleft one day 2.gif This would be one more sub in your sub collection 11.gif

I am too lazy and time is short.I work too many hours/week.Better things to do,when I feel like I need to prove someting I will order the Adire Pinnacle series Everest and SVS B4-Plus and seal the deal.

I have no time to take a chainsaw and start toying around with MDF and glue.

This is why I buy subs I hear and like.

A Everest or B4-Plus eats DIY,unless its extreme lunatic DIY using dozens of woofers.

I tested rapidly with 4 test tones my Tempest in my 1500 cubic ft room. For now, I only chose those tones because any higher notes just rattle the walls and things SO much that I dont know if the Tempest bottom out or not... Im trying to find a solution for tihs.. maybe moving some object elsewhere so this will be less critical! 9.gif

18 Hz -> 113 dB

20 Hz -> 115 dB

22 Hz -> 116 dB

25 Hz -> 116 dB

All I can say is WOAAWW!!!! Very great performance for a subwoofer which is under $1000! I guess that Im near 120 dB in the 40 Hz region! 3.gif Anyway, I live again with my parents so having this kind of output just give me the choice to have more headroom, and to crank it up more when no body is in that house except my friends and me! 11.gif

===============

I just forgot to add that the sub isnt placed exactly at the best spot for the moment because of a big piece of furniture so the sub is on it and not on the ground in a room corner. I tried one time to place the VTF-3 at this spot without that piece of furniture and I could hit 1 and sometimes 2 more dBs. The bad thing is that I cant move away this big thing (piece of furniture) for now because this is where I place some clothing and some gadjets. But well, I dont think that this is really important because I find the output really correct for the moment... But well, I just wanted to mention this if some Tempest users find that the outpout isnt enough high with these low bass tones.

It is drived with the Adire DT300 amp, 300 Watts into 4 ohms. I wish I could have the Rythmic Audio 380W amp because I think that it cost a little less BUT I didnt regret that purchase because when it is really hot in the summer time and I want to crank up the music, the DT300 is a class D amp so it produce less heat, it doesnt have any class AB like heatsink. It is really well welcomed during the past days... the amp just turned in the warm side, not hot at all and the temperature of the room is less high than when I runned my HSU VTF-3 which has a class AB amp with a heatsink. When the ambiant temperature was hot in the room, the heatsink of that amp was really really hot, you could fry an egg on it LOL! But well, during those days it was like 35 degrees C outside and 37-38 inside. When the temperature was ok in the room, the heatsink didnt heat up that much.

I answered you in a email by the way Jas...

JasN00b,

The "sub" using the twelve 12" woofers is quite nice,nut its performance can be bet with ease by dual SVS B4-Plus 25Hz and up.No need for making holes in the floor.

When I decide to beat pretty much anyone I will order two B4-Plus and dual Everest subs.Case closed

Now with all my subs I can get over 120dB pretty much down to 20 pulses in both rooms,and a 30Hz its a SPL massacre.Even my main PC system belts a solid 122dB at 30Hz!Rockets and rail gunns sound almost fake realistic. LOL

The project depicted in the link is very interesting using the basement as enclosure.IB subs are great because they extend DEEEEP with little loss.

The fun part would be building a similar project using 12 Tumults!And power them with four KRELL FPB600 amps.Imagine the natural disaster,the windows would be blown out.

----------------

On 8/10/2003 12:23:02 PM TheEAR wrote:

JasN00b,

The "sub" using the twelve 12" woofers is quite nice,nut its performance can be bet with ease by dual SVS B4-Plus 25Hz and up.No need for making holes in the floor.

When I decide to beat pretty much anyone I will order two B4-Plus and dual Everest subs.Case closed

Now with all my subs I can get over 120dB pretty much down to 20 pulses in both rooms,and a 30Hz its a SPL massacre.Even my main PC system belts a solid 122dB at 30Hz!Rockets and rail gunns sound almost fake realistic. LOL

The project depicted in the link is very interesting using the basement as enclosure.IB subs are great because they extend DEEEEP with little loss.

The fun part would be building a similar project using 12 Tumults!And power them with four KRELL FPB600 amps.Imagine the natural disaster,the windows would be blown out.

----------------

hehe with tumults, i honestly think that the FCC would start to get irratated by that... i imagine it would interfere with siesmic activity meteres 0_0

"By the way, do you want all that I test my Tempest at the maximum volume at each test tones? Exemple, at 20 Hz, the maximum the tempest can go, at 25 Hz, etc... because If I do it that way, this will not indicate to you how flat is the bass in my room. I can do a test where I put the volume at a certain point and I dont touch it when I listen to different test tones. Its all like you want..."

still looking for those numbers!!

2.gif

Well I posted some numbers above, but yeah, I know that this doesnt indicate the real deal. I will have to move that big piece of furniture away from that room corner so I will be able to place the sub there and to do a serious test. I can get up to 2 more dB by placing the sub there. I hope that I will do this before the end of this month! 9.gif

Fire Pinch, I was looking for this comparo:

"I was thinking in calibrate both subs to, say, 100Hz so both read 100dB. Then go down in 1/3 or 1/6 interval to see how each behave, right down to 16Hz. Both need to be properly calibrated and in the same place to do this fairly"

I think it would be good info for all members!

9.gif