ATTN: DFW Hornheads

Mallette

I should have given you a call Dave. I just got home from Frisco Texas last night. I was staying a the Westin Stonebriar off 121 and Legacy Drive. What a hotel! I spent my time at the mall, movie theater and the other typical places you would find a teenage boy when he is bored.

It just totally slipped my mind! Boy is Frisco sweet! Went to a friend of a family members house (my great aunts friends daughter's... she had a son my age). It was quite nice... only cost $1 million! I felt sick as I walked in there haha. He went with me to the mall... bad influence I guess. I left there with about $400 worth of new clothes. yeah, bad influence. I could have bought 2 more heresys for that haha. top it off, 1/2 of the clothing is the wrong size haha.

so next time I am in frisco, don't count on it being too soon, off to missouri aug 18, I will give you guys a call!

I just returned from Lawton. As anticipated, getting away from the excitement (southern Oklahoma, what a wild, nutty place) was impossible. Dave, it sounds like this project is just snowballing!

Jim, I think you may be scaring the women off with your big pipes...

fini

Actually, it's gotten to thinking about two things:

1. The significant numbers of acoustic touring show bands and acts that are enjoyable by a lot of people, but are never seen or heard by most in the general roar.

2. The relative dearth of hi-res material available to audiophiles. Right now, many seem to just buy whatever comes out just to have something new to listen to.

The two together represent a possible opportunity for guys like me. The investment to produce DVD-A, once you get past the experience curve and have the basic equipment, really is not great. Even before considering the music acts, I'd been toying with environmental recording ideas. Quite a few LP's of such were sold...I've 8 or 10 under the "Solitudes" series from the late seventies that range from range forest to jungle to storms, beach, etc. Seems people liked them, but I believe the two channel medium just can't do the job on this. No dimension or immersion in the experience. I collected 4 Crown PZM's with an eye towards mounting the on 1 meter square plex and arranging them in a cube to provide a spherical 4 channel single point pickup to record environmental. The Spankers and other things intervened so I've not done that experiment yet, but I hope to get to it. There are not a lot of audio events that would benefit from that mic system, but one other comes to mind: Singing the Sacred Harp. The Sacred Harp is the nearly 200 year old American tradition of 5 note hymn singing developed in Vermont but hijacked by the South in the 19th century. Even if you are not a fan of hymns, this music is very compelling in the same way Russian liturgical music with those growling basses can be. Further, the traditional formation is a square with the singers facing inward. The above described PZM cube is about the only way it could be recorded accurately. Should be quite a surround experience!

Also, my church organ project will come to fruition next Easter. We've an agreement in principle with the winner of the Third Dallas International Organ Competition to be the dedicatory recitalist. Such an event would be unlikely to draw the attention of Sony or Columbia, but with the lack of hi res material, a very fine instrument in superb acoustics, a world-class organist, and a hi res surround recording a few just might be sold if the word got out in the right circles.

I am just about to the end of my kid's college funds on this deal, so I am proceeding pretty slowly at the moment. ASMOF, the Spankers manager really wanted me to come to Portland to engineer their DVD-Video project and was willing to pay. I declined for two reasons: I am not totally satisified with the reliability of the system (only out three times. One total failure, one 50% success, and one 98% success), and I knew there would be significant expense beyond what either the band or myself could afford at this point.

Bummer. However, one has to make these tough calls from time to time.

Dave

Dave

OK, so I reply to my own topics. This is one of those "ongoing" stories at least a few of you have shown interest and I'm at a temporary resting point on it.

That's because I just shipped a DVD disc with sample surround files in 24/192 and 24/96 to Hank Waring at FDS Labs in Palmdale CA. I expect it to take a while for him to get around to them, but at least when he does I'll get what I consider definative qualitative judgements about the MBS-4 and my recording abilities. Be careful what you ask for...

I had to call Rick Rooney at Maximedia in Dallas to confirm his address, as the USPS postage and label site rejected what I had written down and MapQuest aerial photos appeared to show a vacant lot. Turns out the difference between "West N" and West Avenue N." Picky, picky.

Anyway, Rick told me a bit more. Seems an awful lot of the most audio conscious rock bands of the classic period, including the Stones, Beatles, and many more names you know came to Hank for LP mastering. There is little doubt many members of this group treasure LP's he mastered.

So, with fear and trembling, I await the judgement from on high. What was I thinking??????

OTOH, he seems like a VERY nice man.

Dave

Dave, FWIW I think that you'll receive a positive response from Hank concerning your hi-res recording...I have faith in you, and I haven't even heard your work yet! Would love to hear the Sacred Harp reproduced on DVD-A someday!

Well fini, if the women knew my pipes were always in tune when they...naw, finishing this statement would be politically incorrect!7.gif

Thanks, Jim, I needed that.

BTW, my Klipschorns are even louder. My Mac 2100 delivers even a little more to them than to your Cornies :-)

I mention that because I was SPL'ing 110db this morning at 15 feet during hooting and applause whilst doing a final check on the files.

It was loud, and unnervingly real. St. James Infirmary, and You Made the Nights So Long. Really great stuff.

Of course, I am half deaf, and doing that very often will make it 100%.

Dave

Yep, can't argue with you on that point, Dave. I'm glad you're using your MC2100...isn't it a wonderful amplifier? I'd love to hear my MC2100 with a pair of Klipschorns...someday I will, but for the time being, I'm not complaining one bit!

I haven't measured the SPL response with my Cornwalls using the MC2100 yet, but I have lots of times with my 50 WPC MC250, peaking with "A" weighted readings at over 120dB each time playing various organ recordings on the Telarc, Dorian, Delos, Philips, Pro Organo, Teldec, and Musical Heritage Society labels (among others). But it's not about being loud as it is about being realistic, like you said, and the Cornwalls too, are up to that task!

It is still slightly weaker on one channel than the other. However, I can't really hear a qualitative difference once balanced. Something intellectually tells me there should be. Of course, since the potential of that 75lb. behemoth is never challenged, perhaps not.

Often reminds me of the Krell reactor in "Forbidden Planet."

Dave

LOL!9.gif

Perhaps after the sell of your first 10,000 copies of your latest DVD-Audio, you can then schlep your MC2100 to your nearest authorized McIntosh service center (or to Mac Labs) for a much needed overhaul.12.gif