Dear God: Save me from the HISSSSSSSSSSSSS. Yamaha Sucks! Never again......

afraid

ok lets put this hiss thing to bed...every rcvr with dsp in it will and should have some very slight hiss coming out of the speakers when you put your ears up very close to your speakers...anyone who says that their recvr is dead quiet well I have a hard time believing that one! I used to sell very highend audio gear and there was always at least a slight hiss coming out...but as far as hearing hiss from sitting down at your favorite location watching a dvd movie..no way unless there is something wrong with the system....no hiss should be detected coming from a dvd movie or music concert unless the dvd recording itself is unusually noisy like the whitney houston dvd i have which is an abomination of a recording and an embarrassment of that dvds recording company! I have a yamaha rxv795 used as my preamp and drives my rear and center speakers only and it has a very slight hiss which you can hear only if you put your ears right up to the speakers with no source playing in a dead quiet room and when the dsp modes are switched on because dsp increases the noise present in the signal path..yamaha has a new rcvr or two out which is said to be even quieter in its dsp section than what was out there a year or two ago.....thats what I have found anyway from my experiences over the years...hope it helps!

------------------

my equipment:

klipsch rf-3 (main)

klipsch center ch speaker

boston acoustics (rear)

mirage ss-1500 subwoofer

yamaha 795 receiver driving center and rears parasound hca-1500 amp

driving rf-3s

mirage subwoofer 1500 watts!

sony 650 dvd/cd player

sony minidisc/cd player combo

panasonic hifi vcr

waiting to see what new reference line will sound like in 2001!!

good points by roy. but just to add a few things, u shouldn't get hiss from a receiver due to bad ac from the outlet. that should be something like a buzz. or for a ground problem it would usually be hum.

as far as specs go, i know they're not a cure-all, but one that definitely applies here is the signal/noise ratio, hopefully if u can get it for the audio section of the receiver. f.e., my sony & the yamaha 595 show 96db whereas my marantz sr-8000 shows 105db linear.

though i realize the higher quality & more expensive sony & yamaha models do have higher S/N ratios.

just something to possibly take into account, although good old a/b receiver listening still seems best Biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-21-2001 at 03:22 AM

No way, there is always hiss. No way out, specialy with klipsch speakers. But ok, if it is audible at more than 20" , you have a reason to complain.

HISS is not always to be pointed to the ampilfier. Check always your connections. It is maybe the source that causing the HISS. On some amplifiers you need to short-circuit the not used input connections. Moreover you should do this with any amplifier when using analog connections (cinch).

You should also check groundings... . Specially with separate components.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3