Passive Sub vs. Power Sub?

G-Money

Good day all, I currently have a passive sub and noticed the forum topic is powered subwoofers. My question is...would it be alright to post here concerning my passive sub? Thanks.

Fronts: Chorus II

Center: KLF-C7

Rears: SS-1

Sub: SVS 25-31 CS (tuned to 19 htz)

Yamaha AVR-2300

Carver Power Amp-350W per at 8 ohms

2 Denon Mono Amps-135w at 8 ohms

Sony 300 X CD player

Pioneer Karoke DVD player

16.gif2.gif

The forum is about subwoofers, both passive and active. So yes feel free. I do have a question about your CS sub. I have been gathering feedback from SVS owners about their cylinder subs.

I hadn't thought about the CS line, but looked more at the Ultra and CS+. In your experience, have you found the limit to the CS? In other words, at anypoint have you thought "I should have gone with the CS+ or Ultra"?

I am steering away from the CS just because I would rather spend the extra $$ instead of getting something nice, but living with a limit to how loud I can go. So I would like to hear your thoughts on the CS. Thanks.

Tank, I am yet to find the limit. I play my music and movies extreamly loud and the sub doesn't feel overwork or realy tested at all. Please keep in mind the sub placement is in a corner with concrete walls...I don't know if these conditions would affect accoustics more positively.

Actually you do... all you need is test tones. When you play the tone at which the sub is tuned for, the woofer cone should move much less than the surrounding frequencies.

So all you do is pop in a test tone disk (or play them through your PC) and scan through the frequencies between 18hz and 25hz ... and look at the woofer cone. You may not even have to remove the bottom plate on your SVS, looking through the side gap with a flashlight.

Just a thought...

Rob

"Good day all, I currently have a passive sub and noticed the forum topic is powered subwoofers. My question is...would it be alright to post here concerning my passive sub? Thanks."

actually all subwoofers need "power" to operate..... the terms "powered" and "passive" just indicate where the power is coming from: a dedicated amplifier or your main aplifier (or receiver)

Hmmm....than perhaps the word "powered" should be omited from the topic name since all subs are powered in one way or another and to aliviate confusion. I guess my whole argument is, either way you look at it, powered should not be in the forum name.

The 25-31cs won't be tuned lower than 22hz, I probably estimated in room response in the 19hz range in our email exchange.

Modern passive subwoofers almost always have their own dedicated amplification too, it just isn't an amplifier built into the enclosure.

At the tuning point, the driver motion will be at a minimum.

Tom V.

SVS