Look what followed me home yesterday-La Scalas!

jtice

Took a little road trip yesterday and somehow this pair of '82 La Scalas followed me home. Turns out that one of the tweeters was blown but everything else works fine. They're full of dust and dirt. I took the tweeter outit's not missing. Found a diaphragm on ebay. The color of the cabinets looks better in the picture than they actually dosome kind of oil or furniture polish turned them an uneven dull brownish color. Otherwise the wood is in good shapefew chips or nicks. But anyway, looks like I have project...

If anyone has AA networks that you have replaced I'd be interested. Also would like to hear of any other ideas on network upgrades (these are AL). I'm aware of ALK but hesitant to spend the bucks. Maybe if I actually heard them I'd change my mind? Any other options recommended?

Also, any suggestions on refinishing the cabinets would be appreciated. I'm assuming I'll need to do quite a bit of sandinghopefully will get down to clear wood if that stuff didn't penetrate too far. Would like them to turn out kind of golden-on the yellow side with a nice glossy finish.

My wife is a sweetheartshe just smiled an rolled her eyes.

John

post-11158-13819248663876_thumb.jpg

Were they hitchhiking? What road were you on? I wouldn't mind something like that following me home.

Yes, lots of sanding to do. That's the problem with lascalas. So much wood! They look great from the pics. I hope you got a good deal too.

You could always build a front grill and avoid sanding the front and insides. Then they look like deep cornwalls.

Good luck.1.gif

----------------

On 7/31/2003 8:29:42 AM garymd wrote:

Were they hitchhiking? What road were you on? I wouldn't mind something like that following me home.

Yes, lots of sanding to do. That's the problem with lascalas. So much wood! They look great from the pics. I hope you got a good deal too.

----------------

Gary,

Yesthey were hitchhiking. Yea, I got a dealproblem is, I got such a deal that I'm feeling guilty over it. When I found out the tweeter was blown I countered and he accepted. I don't think he was selling because he didn't like the speakers, if you get my drift. Never had problems with conscience over tradin' stuff before. My wife says to do what it takes to feel right about it. Anybody ever get themselves into a pickle like this one?

John

So as not to leave it hanging... I have been reassured that there is no need for inverse buyers remorse. Yea, I got'em cheap but there is a heck of a lot to do, maybe more money to spend before they'll be up to speed.

Can anyone tell me about sanding and refinishing? How much sanding can I do before I get too far into the veneer layer? Is there anything I can apply to the wood that will do it any good or should I just sand it? Looks like the only thing that was applied previously was an oil of some typeno surface buildup to remove.

J.

One word: Patina. You want PATINA! Those WAF weenies will say to refinish to NOS but that old varnish look will never be duplicated. I'd say to get them at least presentable with as little work possible. You have great-looking speakers there! Concentrate on mechanics and sonics and let them all criticize.

("Another country heard from.")