EV S-350's for sale

3dzapper

----------------

On 8/1/2003 3:44:41 AM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

If I may differ. ST-350s are good but they are not and EV-35 / K-77.

----------------

The ST-350 is a phenolic tweeter and, by default, will have limitations in the high end.

$350 is about $200 more than what these are worth.

Some dope will buy them.

There are more than one st350 tweater, I believe, the older type, alnico magnet from the frount look like st(?) 35 or k77 but with larger magnet, and superior sound, and the st350a which uses a mud magnet and still sounds pretty good and I believe more efficient to the k77. I use both the k77 in my cornwalls and klipschorns, and the st350a in a diy horn speaker and the st350a tweets really shine.

IMHO

Shane

If they are the older larger 350 they may be well worth the price.

Gee, I don't have my literature or a scanner here.

There were a number of variations of the long lived T-35. An early one did not have a phase plug. The later ones did and were labled as A and B, with B being less sensitive, but both with alnico magnets.

The T-350 was a slightly larger variation. The pictures show some plating and paint to make it look nicer. Again alnico, to my recall.

There was also the T-35W from the Wolverene building block series. Less sensitive. Vacuum Tube Valley suggested this as a K-Horn mod. I think it is bad advice.

EV came out with the mud magnet version of the T-35 and called it a -B. So then there were two -B in history but different.

The ST- was a more modern variation which was based on Don Keele's constant directivity designs. I believe the ST-350-A had a flat face and is pretty much trapezoidal, I think. The ST-350-B has a design which looks like a small radial horn. This was typically mated with the SM- midrange horn.

I invite comment.

Gil

I would agree not to mod the khorn with that tweeter, later this week I will post some picts of my different EV tweeters, a poster djk that posts here has a great deal of information on EV and other speakers. I just really like almost all ev stuff that I have ever come across.

Shane

The ST-350 used a constant-directivity horn with a very wide pattern, 120 degrees as I recall. The horn resembles the JBL "buttcheek" horn. The driver used an Alnico magnet and then ferrite. EQ is needed to use this tweeter proprerly, when bought as a seperate item the tweeter came with a diagram for the EQ circuit.

The ST-350 was used in several EV speakers, in the Sentry III and Sentry IV it was matched with a midrange consisting of the 1823-1824 on the SM-120A horn. The tweeter was also used in a couple of speakers that used EV's high output vented cone midrange.

Good tweeter when used proprerly.

I twice tried to correct my post above, with no luck.

I see that the newer version with the ceramic mud magnet is called a -A. Probably it was just carrying on from the strong alnico version. Therefore there is continuity. I've not seen or heard of a mud magnet -B version.

Sorry for the error.

Gil

I posted a few pictures of the JBL 2404H aside the EV T35. The T35 is a decent little tweeter but does have limitiations. Power handling is low and the phenolic diaphragm limits HF extension. The JBL unit is a significant, clearly audible improvement over the T-35. New, the JBL units list for about $540/pr. Expensive, yes, but I would go down this route first long before I run out and buy new networks.

JBL Motor Design Practice dictates gap flux densities around 1Tesla. The 2404H is closer to 1.7T in the gap which is quite impressive.

Side%20view.jpg

Back%20view.jpg

Front%20view.jpg

Note that the T35 I'm showing is the ferrite magnet Avedon version of the tweeter. The phase plug Gil eludes to is the center *cap* suspended in place by the four ribs running along the horn interior

surfaces. This feature was patented by EV and was called the *Sonophase Throat*. Interestingly, the patent granted is a *design* patent suggesting that the look of the tweeter was more important than the physics.

Earlier version of the T35 did not have the phase plug. The original T35 was designed by Al Hoodwin. It was a true diffraction tweeter being about 1/2 the width of the version shown above.

The published data on this tweeter is (unfortunately) laughable. According to the EV literature (ref. brochure 53157) the T35 is +/-2dB from 3.5 to 18kHz, 3 dB down at 20kHz and a mere 8dB down at 40kHz! The rest of the world seems to measure 5dB down at 15kHz and essentially nothing above that. So much for manufacturers specs.

Thanks for the photos of the two tweeter horns, John.

There has been considerable discussion in the past about the proper orientation of the EV T-35. I think it was decided that it was preferable to orient the longer axis vertically. For some reason Klipsch mounted it sideways in most of their applications.

Is the JBL 2404 shown in your photo oriented correctly?