how to remove veneer from cornwalls ?

I've heard you can basically iron the veneer off using tin foil between the iron and the veneer. Melts the glue. Self adhesive veneer is applied the same way. Iron it on, let it dry then use an exacto knife or blade to cut excess. Best to butt front edges together and cut rear and inside edges once dry.

I got these instructions from another forum member but haven't attempted it yet. You will also need to sand before putting on new veneer.

Someone who has actually done it would be better help but I think that's the basic idea. Hope that helps.

I had an unfortunate experience with my home brew K-Horns. I put on some veneer and did not like the results. It was a bear to get it off with woodworking tools and an iron.

What was left was a surface pockmarked with glue. Certainly it would be impossible to put down a new surface of smooth veneer. So I used plastic laminate. "A man has got to know his limitations."

My suggestion is to leave on whatever veneer you have. You can and should sand it to smooth it out and remove finish which could interfere with the glue used to attach a new veneer.

BTW, I found that the new environmentally friendly contact cement did not work well. So I went back to the old smelly stuff. Please do use a mask and plenty of ventalation if you do this.

OTOH, some veneer comes with iron on thermal glue. I've only used that on edge trim. It works well but you have to be careful to use a roller or the edge of a board to get a good bond as it cures.

Best luck,

Gil

I'm with Gil on this one... removing the veneer will give tons of headaches.

I'd strip the FINISH on the existing surface, fill the chips with filler, and sand smooth. Then apply a new veneer over the existing one. The difference in thickness is negligible and this way you'll get a smooth surface.

The only case, which may cause me to think twice, is if they are decorator models with the plywood edge showing along the front and top. In this case, you may have to consider edging the front as well.

Let us know what you decide...

Rob

I concur, do not attempt yourself....

Check with a furniture refinisher and see it they can strip them. The furniture tech that repairs my HT seats does it and says it is possible but take a great deal of time. To do my RF7s it would have cost nearly $300 due to the time to getall the old glue off.

For him to put veneeron a cabinet would have cost $30 for the veneer and 1 hour per cabinet so under $200 to go over the black or new cabinets.

He strongly recommended not removing the old stuff.