Who has the Cornwalls with the wood fronts?

greg928gts

I remember seeing a picture from someone who had Cornwalls with hardwood fronts and no grilles. Is it Jim Cornell? I would like to see a picture, I remember them being very nice looking. Did they come that way from the factory or is that custom? Are the horns surface mounted?

I'm picking up a pair of Cornwalls tomorrow, cherry, with stains on top and missing grilles. I'm going to refinish them, and I'm thinking of re-veneering the fronts with cherry instead of replacing the grilles.

I traded a pair of RB-5II's (beautiful mahogany finish that I paid $150 for) and $100 for the Corns. The RB-5II's had paint on them that needed to be cleaned off. I thought this was a good deal all around. Can't wait to hear the Cornwalls, it's been years since I've heard them. It will be interesting to hear how they compare to the Khorns.

Greg

Yeah, thanks Gary. They are incredible looking. When I do mine, I'm going to cover the end grain of the side panels for a truly flush look. Did you ever do anything with yours? I'm going to use a circular saw and carefully cut the front overhangs down to within an 1/8" and then belt sand the remaining off, along with belt sanding the motorboard. Then, I'm going to use a random-orbit sander to smooth everything up, and then re-veneer the entire front with cherry to match the rest. I could even work in a pattern of a different veneer into the front, or even use a different veneer for the front that compliments the cherry on the sides and top. I'm gonna have fun with these. Jeez! Another winter project! Good thing we have long winters up here!

Greg

OK, OK, I was eating some ice cream.

Do you have a router? Are you proficient with it? Using one with a flush-cutting bit would be a better way to flush up the sides to the motorboard. Be careful with the sanding, too. You don't want to "dish out" the motorboard prior to veneering. Sounds like it could be a cool project!

fini

fini, good idea on the router, but might be difficult with 3/4" thick plywood. I'm pretty sure handed with a circular saw and with a sharp blade and tape over the veneer, I think I can get a clean cut. I have a large belt sander, so I think I can keep everything very flat.

Greg

Lame excuse Fini.9.gif No ice cream for me lately. I was having chest pains so I went to the hospital and turns out I'm fine (after stress test, etc.) but my cholesteral was 290! I'm on a low-fat diet which really sucks! Italian Ice is my dessert of choice lately.

Greg,

No. I decided to scrap the wood front idea. Maybe when I'm finished the 50 or 60 other projects on my list.

You're right, Gary. It was a lame excuse. I really shouldn't be eating ice cream, either. Last I checked, my cholesterol was extremely low (like, 135), but I don't need the calories. I've had one of those "heart attack scare" trips to the emergency room, too. I checked out fine.

Greg, what I'd do is rough cut it to within 1/8", then finish it with a router and the flush cutter (with a long enough blade). I'd use a router to cut the woofer, mid, and tweeter holes, too. I guess you can use the belt sander if you really want to... 9.gif

fini

----------------

On 8/1/2003 5:36:31 PM jhawk92 wrote:

Gary-

You best be careful with that 290 number. I want you to be around to audition the mac gear! Guess next time I visit we won't bring pizza home!
11.gif

----------------

In case you didn't notice Rob, I ate 1 small slice. It was my first fatty food in almost a week but boy did it taste good!