Ticket Prices!!!!

garymd

After reading Bruinsrme's thread about Buffet I decided to scan a few of my many ticket stubs I've been collecting over the years. I've always been anal about saving them (I have at least 100 or more). If you look closely, there's a Buffet in there as well as an Eagles ticket. Earliest was a $3 seat from 1973, newest a $50 seat from June 03 which I believe will be in the next picture.

post-11821-13819248684734_thumb.jpg

Hey Gary,

You saw The Who and can still hear. Amazing!

I saw the dead in 1978 3 days before you on 4/11/78.. killer FOTD and Brown Eyed Women.. Aiko Aiko!

(it was my second Dead show at that point... the first in May of 1977)... both at the fabulous Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA.

ahhhhhh... memories. I think the tickets to that Dead show in 1977 were $7.50, and there has not been a rock show to equal that one since.

I recently got a flier from the Kentucky Center for the Arts in Louisville for their opera season, offering early birds $10.00 off the 'per person' price of $120.00 .

EGADS!!

So I could:

a. Take a date to four opera shows or...

b. buy another set of cornalls.

I'll choose plan b....

Forrest

Woodog,

Saw The Who at least 3 times and I still have good hearing for some reason. Nothing was as loud as Deep Purple back in the mid 70s. Ear bleeding sound levels! Nothing as great as late 70s Dead shows. Jerry at his best. I always loved going to see him by himself or with the Garcia Band back then. They were always in small venues. Warner Theater shows were incredible.

Bruin,

Does that include carry-out?

----------------

On 8/2/2003 1:54:17 PM garymd wrote:

I've always been anal about saving them (I have at least 100 or more).

----------------

Doesn't sound too sanitary to me...

fini

I saw the Who at the Cotton Bowl in about 1990. They were in the end zone; it was loud at the 50 yard line in the upper level, where I was. I put spitballs in my ears and believe it was for the best.

The performance by the band was terrific. One spooky thing happenned. Just about everyone in the bowl started singing along to Teen Age Wasteland. Just shows that the song really hits a resonance of individual experience.

It is too bad that rock performances are so apealling and, without ear protection, so destructive.

I also lament the price of tickets. But it is true in the classical music world too if you want to hear the CSO or Chicago Lyric Opera. No spitballs in ears necessary in most cases. It depends what they're playing. Smile.

Gil

----------------

On 8/2/2003 9:46:23 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 8/2/2003 1:54:17 PM garymd wrote:

I've always been anal about saving them (I have at least 100 or more).

----------------

Doesn't sound too sanitary to me...

fini

----------------

Fini,

You saw the CSNY ticket stub with the hole burned through it? I think I had burritos that night.

Gary-

You bring up a great point about saving ticket stubs. I do the same thing, probably not 100 like you, but then again, I'm about 10 yrs younger. At any rate, never thought much about them until last week when our local "classic rock" station said they would have a "ticket stub lottery" for KISS/Aerosmith tickets. Since I've seen both a few times, I dug them out and was wondering how the contest would work.

DJ's came on and said that if you had a ticket stub from any KISS or Aerosmith show with the following criteria, you could win...

1. Closest to a seat at a show back in 1996 that the DJ had been at.

2. Oldest/earliest show

3. Furthest from CT.

I saw KISS at the Anaheim Pond in 2000, so hightailed it to the studio. There were a few people who called in and said they saw a concert in Germany, but couldn't get to the studio in time. Finally, someone else called and said they saw a show at Costa Mesa. So it was a close call between me and the other listener. As it turns out, the Costa Mesa location was torn down, so we couldn't get exact distances, but they ended up giving us both tickets!

So I took my wife and we went to the opening night of the current KISS/Aerosmith tour. See, it pays to keep useless bits of paper around.9.gif