need info...the first step is knowing you have a prob

cuzfu

I bought Klipsch Promedia 4.1 for my computer and i love them. I was also trying to look into getting a home theater system and i don't know how to put one together. i really don't even know what i need. If you could send me to a web page or tell me what to look for i would be very thankful.

cuzfu - If you give us an idea of what you are trying to put together, we can give some ideas and thoughts. How big a room do you have? How much music vs. home theater will you use the system for? Do you have a ballpark budget? Are you in a house or apartment? Do you have any components already -- receiver, amp, preamp, DVD, speakers, etc...

Doug

well...the room i will be using is about a 12 x 25. i will be using the system for a home theater system...i don't really know what my budget is but i don't want to spend too little and get something i won't be happy with. i don't have any equipment. i guess i need to know everything there is about a home theater system.

Your in luck, there is so much info on the net! You can do a search under many headings (home theater, etc). Also good info @ dolby.com, dts.com, ecoustics.com (they have a good section on everything you will need to get started).

And then there is this BB. Anything you don't understand...just ask away. Many very knowledgable people here that are happy to help you out (best BB on the net IMHO)!

Budget is a keyword. Demo products extensively. Many of us like Yamaha & Denon & other receivers/amps. I think we all agree Klipsch is the best speaker(s) to use. So get a feel of what your ears really love & see what it costs and go from there!

Welcome aboard.

This message has been edited by Quenten on 05-18-2001 at 07:08 AM

Cuzfu, try some of your local dealers. They should have some complete home theater setups for auditioning, you should be able to get an idea of what you're going to need. Remember there salesman, don't hesitate to ask questions on this forum, you will get some great advice.

Good Luck,

Joe T

cuzfu,

You are about to enter a very fun and exciting hobby!!! As many here would confirm, a very expensive hobby (of which I would never leave).

Crutchfield's has a free home theater setup guide. Also, their catalogue has some great information.

Klipsch speakers are the best! LOL

As others said, there is a ton of information on the web. Also, feel free to ask us anything. Most of us have been doing this for years.

Good luck

Well, you've got a 4.1 system (5 speakers), so that is a start on your knowledge.

Excuse me if the following is obvious, or too general. It seems you're looking for the very basics.

The standard HT system has 6 speakers. This makes it a 5.1 system. (The subwoofer is the .1, there are 5 others)

The first speakers to consider are left and right main. These are basically equivalent to a 'stereo' set up. Just like the fronts of your 4.1. I'll point out that if you are going to get a subwoofer, these don't have be the top of the line. The sub is going to be doing most of the work.

Then you add a center channel speaker. It is smaller than the mains. It sits in the center on top or below your TV. This is good for localizing sound in a wide stage. Often speech in a movie which is centered. There is no analogy in your 4.1 system.

Then there are the surround speakers which are placed to the side and back. These are just like your rear speakers on the 4.1 system. The elementry system uses two. These again are small in size but different in construction from the center. In Klipsch HT speakers they each have two horns set 90 degrees from each other to send treble over a wide lateral direction. There is a small bass driver between them in the cabinet.

Then you need a subwoofer which will be similar to the one in your 4.1 system, but bigger. It sits on the floor someplace near a corner, usually. You can play with placement, but it is not critical at first. You might play with it.

You should be able to go to your Klipsch dealer. He'll recommend the full set of speakers from the same family. This is important. The 5 speakers should come from the same family which are thus designed to work together. Choice of the sub depends on your ambition. Obviously, it makes sense to get a Klipsch. Typically there will be a small, medium, and large, in graduated price too.

Then you need an HT receiver and video source (VHS, DVD). You see the favorite brands of the many folks on the bbs here. I'll go out on a limb and say that you can't go far wrong with the major manufacturers from Japan: Sony, Denon, Yamaha, Mitsubishi. Again, the midpriced stuff is probably a good choice.

The HT receiver will have the connections to drive the 6 speakers.

I don't know if you're set with a VCR or DVD player. To my way of thinking, it makes sense to get the same brand as the HT receiver. At least the remote controls are likely to function better, together.

Everyone has thoughts on the wire you'll need to connect all this. I think zip cord is good enough for speaker connections. At least it is a cheap start and you can upgrade later. You'll need something to connect the DVD or VHS. Cheap is good enough for now.

That is the basics.

Like buying anything, you might be worried about making a bad choice. Am I being sold an overpriced econobox, a Corvette, a old Cadillac, a Pentium 2 when the Pentium 7 is coming out soon, or what? Normal fear. Essentially, you will probabably always be well served with the midrange price and size in a current model.

A good dealer can be a big help. All this equipment is a big investment; you deserve serious treatment. Make it clear that you want something close to a turn key system (if that is true) which is similar to a mid range car. Not a luxury model, and not an economy model.

Of course, the above depends a bit on your personal situation. I think the mid-priced stuff is darn good and gives best bang for the buck. Others on the forum might come forward with specific choices.

Regards,

Gil

ok...i think i need to go to a store and find out exactly what i like and what i don't like...anyone know of a good place to start. i live in a small town so i will have to go somewhere else to find a place...im not sure if best buy is a good place or not. should i be looking for hifi audio only stores...

you guys have been most helpful, i just wanted you to know how thankful i am for the info and guidance you have given me.

and one more thing. i am planning on getting a reciever first but they are so many...i don't even know what features are impotant and which ones are not really nessacary. would this be the place to start?

This message has been edited by cuzfu on 05-19-2001 at 01:10 PM

My suggestion would be to NOT go to Best Buy first. I think an informed buyer can selectively obtain components there (like maybe a Yamaha receiver), but I'd be nervous about taking their advice.

What small town are you in, or what major towns are you near? I'd make an adventure out of this, and let the salespeople in a decent hi-fi store help educate me...

Doug

Didn't I hear that Walmart was going to be an authorized Klipsch dealer -- NOT!! Take a look at the dealer locator on the Klipsch web site, find the one or two nearest you (hopefully in the same vicinity of each other). Then, in keeping with the adventure theme, take a drive there and listen and ask a bunch of questions. You don't have to buy on that trip -- come back and bounce some ideas around on the ol' board.

Doug

cuzfu,

Just to hammer home the point Doug and others are making here. Find the dealer that sells Klipsch first! You will want to hear various receivers through the speakers you select. Klipsch are very sensitive/efficient speakers and your receiver selection WILL make a difference in the sound. Unfortunately you just can't rely on the specs.

Good Luck and enjoy the process

Dave

Hey, take it easy on Best Buy. When I was first thinking about buying speakers I went to Best Buy. The salesman was very upfront with me. I told him about the Klipsch speakers I was looking at and ask him to compare his wares to them. He stopped right there and said "Nothing I have competes with Klipsch, end of story!"

Those guys don't work on commision--don't know if they are all so honest, but at least one is.

Hi Quenten - Not trying to say Best Buy is not a good place to go Smile.gif Just that I'm not sure I'd send someone there who was brand new to home theater, as cuzfu indicated he is. Hope I didn't offend anyone. You just need to be careful that you are getting advice from qualified sources...(myself included).

Doug

well i'll say something bad about best buy's finance partner - Household. i loved best buy's 90,120 day whatever same as cash deals, but now HI makes u send some piddily min amount in each month or u pay the finance charge. used to be able to just send the whole

thing at the end of the term. now they're no better than circuit city.

so best buyers beware. sorry, just had to vent Tipsy.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

As being a newbie to HT I highly encourage anyone new or experianced in HT not to goto Best Buy. My cousin's friend worked there and we have always had a grudge against them because they have a motto that they give to the employee's which is sell anything you can, which means that without a doubt they will easily mislead you so you will buy anything... I recomend a place like Bryn Mahr Stereo which is now Tweeter or any authorized Klip dealer, cause if they are carrying Klip's you know they're doing something right...

JPK

-Always Learnin'-

I am a Tweeter fan. I know for a fact that all new hires at Tweeter go through a training program that lasts several weeks BEFORE they step onto a sales floor. So yes they are very knowledgeable.

Also, they are more than willing to allow you to spend hours testing the equipment alone or with a sales man.

They also have a 1 year speaker trade up policy so you can start with really good fronts and work on the surrounds later. Also, they offer a 120 day audio trade up. So yes, there is flexibility in your receiver choice.

There are also many family owned local high-end stereo shops out there. I agree with some of the others about Circuit City and Best Buy. They serve a purpose, but go there informed. Know what you want and dont settle for a bargain from these places.

Good luck

ben