New 2 channel setup

Geo1

What a clean, simple, straightforward audio system you have. I love it. Bet it sounds fantastic!

Just curious...is the Toshiba a throwback from a HT system you had? Are CDs acceptable being played back through it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging you or your choices in gear, but not ever owning a HT for myself, I've been under the impression that DVD players (especially older ones) don't make too great CD players. Of course your Toshiba may be brand new and totally into playing multichannel SACD and DVD-Audio for all I know.

No disrespect, but I'd use a dedicated CD player for a 2-channel setup (personally I'd love to own a JoLida JD-100 tube CD player). You may have your own reasons for the DVD changer, or you may be looking for a new player, I don't know...I'm just wondering is all.1.gif

Thanks for the comments. I just love those Quartets. I can't remember who it was who pointed them out to me on eBay (Was it you, boomac?), but whoever it was, if you're ever in the neighborhood, the beer is on me. The DVD changer came out of the bedroom surround system. I have a JVC changer in my main system which does DVD-Audio. I just ordered a Pioneer DV-563A from OneCall to take care of both DVD-Audio and SACD. That will go into the main system and the JVC will go into the surround system in the bedroom. Actually, I like using the DVD changer in the two channel system, even though it might compromise the sound of CD's, because I can use it to listen to the PCM tracks of multichannel audio discs such as DVD-A and DTS multichannel discs. I love the sound quality of those tracks. So far, the tube system is very modest, but I'm really enjoying it.

Geo1,

As I recall, you were looking at Heresy and LaScala but thought the LaScala's were too big. You also were not sure about the bass associated with the Heresy's. I may have suggested,(I had heard) that Quartets were Heresy's with bass. Anyway, they are great sounding speakers and I was pretty sure that you would enjoy them. I bet that, with that new Jolida tube amp, they have to sound sweet. Yep, as the great one, old JG, aka, Minnesota Fats used to say. "How sweet it is, how sweet it is".

Jim - It very much, as you probably know, depends on the unit in question as to how well it plays DVD's and CD's. However, when I went to HT a few years ago, I made sure I picked up a DVD player that provided good results for both formats, and selected the NAD T550. If not for my wife's preference for a CD changer, I could easily retire my Adcom CD changer in favor of the NAD.

boomac: That's right, I had heard La Scala's and Heresy's years ago and, at that time, a friend had bought the Heresy's. La Scala's are out of the question due to size, so I was leaning toward the Heresy's. You called the Quartets "Heresy's with bass." So true. Thanks again.