Preamp bypass??

rowooo

For the past week or so I've been experimenting a little on my set up. I've been running variable outs on my C.D. player directly into my amp, bypassing my preamp altogether. All my interconnects are Transparent audio's so thats a constant and wouldn't change anything in the new set up. I noticed a slightly more open, but slightly bright midrange. Nothing dramatic at all. It also seemed to me that there was a slight increase in line noise, which I'm sure is related to the slightly more open midrange. Needless to say this line noise drove me nuts and I will be changing back to running my C.D. player through my preamp. Also your limited on your volume gain when running through your player, and my preamps remote is much more ergonomic the my C.D. players. It doesn't hurt to try something new, even though in this case it was detrimental. Have any of you two-channel guys out there ran this way and what were your results? Later..........

Just to throw something out there, but, do you have an AC line conditioner? It may explain some or the line noise. Just a thought.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Carver C-1

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette (maybe being mothballed)

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-17-2001 at 09:53 AM

rowoo....I've done the same thing with ah AH! TUBE disc player, McIntosh mc30's and Khorns, with great results. The disc player has its own volume control, the Mc30's have thier own gain control.....so I can play around and get the right mix. With the amp gain turned up, using the disc player to control the volume, I went from almost complete silence to cranking loud. It took alittle messing with, but it was a noticable improvement on my system..........tblasting has a good point with line conditioner thing.

Guys......everything is plugged into a power conditioner. The noise I'm speaking of is just more of hiss and it's not very bad, and since I liked the sound better running through my preamp it doesn't matter anyway. Running through the preamp, all tone controls bypassed always, my system is very quiet. Just heard good things about running directly out of your players and wanted to experiment with it for awhile. Later......

rowooo-

The hiss can be nothing more than the effeciency of your speakers that you are hearing. I have always noticed a hiss with Klipsch LaScala's and Heresy's. It is just your systems noise floor.It seems a little more prevelent with tube equipment also.Should go away as soon as you play program material though.

By the way, where's the spell check on the new board? Some of us NEED it!

I've tried using the variable output on my Denon 1650AR, and didn't notice a huge difference. Probably depends on your setup. I would need to build a new box for my center channel if I wanted to go this way. Besides, I don't want to get off my butt to change the volume.