good tube amp buys?

Just1n20

i've been looking for a tube amp for a while now, and i'm interested if anyone has input on whether or not these look to be a good buy the scott 299a and 299d... my speakers are currently SF-2's but soon to be RF-3(or5)'s. i also listen to mainly rock music. will they lack decent bass and midbass punch? anyone who knows tube amps think the insides look crappy and unreliable even with the not to great pictures? i'm leaning more towards the 299D, what would you max bid be? does anyone know if either has a ceneter or mono output for a sub since i might need one(i know it kills you audiophiles to hear me ask about a sub for a 2 channel setup)help!

scott 299a

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3039285261&category=3280

scott 299d

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3038557788&category=32801.gif

The 299b has a center output which is not amplified. Perfect for a powered sub. Plenty of power and bass punch for your speaks. BTW, no such thing as 299a. Either 299 or 299b, c,d. I love my 299b with rock. More than adequate and I assume the 299 will also. If you can get one in good cosmetic condition for around $250 and send it to Craig (NOSValves) for rebuild (another $300 or so) then you will have a top notch entry into tubes.

Edit: After looking, I would try for the 299(a?) and get it rebuilt. Looks to be in nice condition. Email Craig for his input. I don't know enough about the 299D to give you advice on that unit but the 299a looks nice.

From what I can see the 299A has had all the High Voltage cans replace which is a good thing. The rest who knows ? The thing about the 299A with the transformers lined up along the side is they are known to have transformer that develop shorts. But on the same token if the amp is properly cared for and biased it should never have a problem. If the amp has made it for 45 years without transformer problems it should last forever properly mantained.

The 299D has had almost no work performed there are many more parts that require replacement besides 4 coupling caps for proper and safe operation. While the 299D is not my favorite amp they do sound very good if working up to snuff If I had a choice between the 299C or D which both use the 7591 output tubes I would rather have the 299C myself.

Your bass question is pretty hard to answer because it depends on what you think is a bass defincency. The SF-2 are not low bass speakers and really requires a Sub woofer the RF-3's do a pretty nice job with bass I have run many Scott amps on SF-2 & RF-3's and never found any bass problem to my ears at all.

Craig

thanks everyone for the replies, i guess the reason i'm leaning towards the 299d is because it has higher watt output, i am afraid the 299(a) won't have enough for my tastes even with the high efficendy klipsch speakers. i'll keep my eye out for a 299C i think and be patient.

Justin,

If I were you, speaking from experience, I'd wait for a nice 299b. I like rock and bass like you. There is NO shortage with the 299b and the center output is great with a powered sub like my rsw-12. The tubes in the 299b are more readily available and cheaper than the 299c. I went through the same thing as you about 4 months ago and don't regret my decision for a minute. I was replacing almost 400 watts of SS power and was skeptical of the bass output with less than 40 watts.

JMHO as always.

MBM135: I remember when you posted about the Jolida 202 not having much output in the bass department. I read one review of that amp that corroborated what you said. The 102B has excellent punch with the Quartets. I assume it would also be good with Forte's.