New setup help

boomergt

I currently have a Samsung 50" DLP. I am looking to get Surround sound setup.

I am looking into the Klipsch Synergy Series because I get a 60% Discount on them. I was thinking of getting the SF-1 or SF-2 Floor speakers, SC-5 Center, SS-5 Surround sound, and the KSW-10 Sub..

Would this be a good setup? If not what should I get? Then if this is an alright setup, would it be worth it to get the SF-2 Floor Speakers over the SF-1's?

Any advice would be great...

Thank you

Tom

boomergt,

For a 60% discount I don't think you can argue. (Work at Best Buy?) Unless you are willing to spend more money on getting into the reference line, I would say go for it. The Synergy series is the entry level system and you might want to upgrade in the future, but I think they sound alright. Especially for 60% discount.

If your primary focus will be Home Theater, keep in mind that almost 70% of your sound will be pushed through the center channel. I am not saying that the other speakers don't matter, but the center is just as if not more important when considering your system.

In my case everyone told me to go big and buy the RF5 or RF7, but I ended up with the RF3. Am I happy? Yes, my budget only allowed for the entry level reference line, and I am just fine.

Many will argue to wait and go bigger or save up. I can never wait that long and want everything NOW!!! Besides, I will want something else next month.

I hope I didn't ramble too much.

Pathos.

If you really get a 60% discount, that means that BestBuy is paying less than that for these speakers, since they still have to show a profit on a sale. On the SF-1, you get a $150.00 markdown. That means they pay less than $100.00 for a speaker they sell for $250.00. I bet they actually pay less than $50.00 for this speaker. That just goes to show you how much Klipsch (as well as other companies) actually has in these speakers. Pretty depressing.

----------------

On 8/4/2003 4:24:54 PM boomergt wrote:

I am think of now getting the SF-2 with the SS-1 and the SC-1 with the KSW-10.. For what I am using them for I think they will work perfect..

Thanks for everyones input!

----------------

With that discount, you would be wise to get the biggest ones available, and that would be the SF-2s, the SC-1 and SS-1 surrounds. You'll have the top-of-the-line Synergy, which I think are terrific sounding speakers, especially for the price. They easily blow-away the Bose (the other "high-end" brand at Best Buy), which cost quite a bit more.

Which actually brings up another interesting question since we seem to be on the topic of employee discounts and speaker markup. If you think Klipsch is marking up speakers, I'd hate to see the actual markup on Bose. In a typical Acousticmass 15 set, I'd be willing to bet they don't cost more than $150 in actual manufacturing costs, but Bose wants something like $1200 for those things?!?! Just out of curiousity, does Bose extend a discount to Best Buy employees?

----------------

On 8/4/2003 1:24:56 AM boomergt wrote:

I currently have a Samsung 50" DLP. I am looking to get Surround sound setup.

I am looking into the Klipsch Synergy Series because I get a 60% Discount on them. I was thinking of getting the SF-1 or SF-2 Floor speakers, SC-5 Center, SS-5 Surround sound, and the KSW-10 Sub..

Would this be a good setup? If not what should I get? Then if this is an alright setup, would it be worth it to get the SF-2 Floor Speakers over the SF-1's?

Any advice would be great...

Thank you

Tom

----------------

Tom,

Since you work at BB, go to the Klipsch Display and take a listen. I am sure if you get there earlier in the morning or after it closes, you can tell that the sounds from the SF2 is much better then SF1. Its a more rich, more clear and clean sound.

Usually, there is a bose system in the store right next to the Klipsch demo area. Play the two together.. then you can tell that No Highs, No lows.. must be BOSE..... 3.gif

Even if you upgrade in the future, you can sell those speakers on Ebay, for probably the same price you bought them. There is no comparision to the Reference line in my opinion, but I mean.. its cheap, take full advantage.

James

----------------

On 8/5/2003 12:15:53 PM Sulaco wrote:

If you really get a 60% discount, that means that BestBuy is paying less than that for these speakers, since they still have to show a profit on a sale. On the SF-1, you get a $150.00 markdown. That means they pay less than $100.00 for a speaker they sell for $250.00. I bet they actually pay less than $50.00 for this speaker. That just goes to show you how much Klipsch (as well as other companies) actually has in these speakers. Pretty depressing.

----------------

If you go to work, you expect to paid, don't you? You guys look at gross markup and think think it's robbery, but don't consider the actual cost of doing business. In NY (where I can speak from experience), an employee with no benefits making $7/hr actually costs the employer about $15/hr. Add to that the various overhead costs, and net margins get slim pretty quick in most sectors. The speaker that may cost $50 in materials costs much more than that to actually get built and to the consumer.