Got my system sey up finally, problem with DTS though?

Thors1982

Just completed the system well almost the RC-7 is on back order so I wont get it for a week or so.

But the rest is here set up and running!

My first system ever im so excited

I however can't get DTS to play on Lord of the Rings. When i turned DTS on my reciever on, and DTS on the DVD on, there was zero sound.

DTS works if im just watching TV on the cable box. I have no clue if its actual DTS or just converted I dunno much about this stuff im new to Home Theater.

If someone could help explain some of what i should be doing that would be great... sorry im such a newb. I heard DTS was a lot better so I would like to hear it.

I have a

denon 3803

2 RF-7

2 RS-7

RC-7 (on the way)

Haven't gotten a sub yet, but I am in college... money is rough. I want to get another surround (RC-7 or two RS-7's) dunno what would be better. But, I heard a CD (my favorite song) with a sub in the store and it sounded like crap so I was like bah, I can live without a sub for a while, but DVD's need a sub :-( So, I want a lot more bass now. I am not disapointed though I got the best i could afford and im going to keep adding on and making it better what more could I ask for? :-)

It is impossible to have DTS engaged while watching TV through the cable box unless it is a digital cable box connected to the receiver via the Optical or Coaxial cable and the programming is being broadcast in DTS. I know of no such system cable or satellite that currently broadcasts in DTS. Dolby Digital maybe. Do you have the Toslink or Coaxial cable from the DVD player connected to the receiver? This is the only way to send the DTS bitstream signal to the receiver. Is the tape monitor on the receiver engaged? If so no sound will be present when trying to playback in DTS.

Make sure that your Digital In Assignment (Denon Setup Menu Function) is set the the correct input, either coax or optical. Make sure the the Mode (front panel) is set to Auto or DTS. I dont know anything about your DVD player, but the similar config settings need to be checked for output path and output format.

Had to rush out of town, so sorry it is taking me so long to get back. But, I can't find anything in my menu's on the DVD player itself about DTS. However, there is the DTS symbol on the front and in the manual. The DVD(Lord of the Rings) has DTS on the back and in the Audio Setup.

As for DTS with cable, I don't know if its actually playing in DTS, all I said was that when i put it on DTS whiel watching cable it still plays sound and appears to be surround. But, I understand why it is impossible to have cable and DTS.

However, when I put Lord of the Rings on DTS I get 0 zero sound.

I will check the things you all have mentioned and get back.

Thanks

Make sure you are using a Digital Coax cable or a Fiber optic cable or else you cannot get a 5.1 setup. Also, make sure you DVD player support DTS as older ones do not.

Last, make sure that whichever input you are putting your DVD's sound cable into is set to the right thing in your recievers menu. Such as: Digital Coaxial for DVD player.