Good reciever recommendation?

Jw_Leonhart

----------------

On 8/5/2003 6:17:14 PM Jw_Leonhart wrote:

I am currently running the 5 pair of Klipsch Quintet speakers with a Polk Audio sub. Could someone please recommend a good reciever to accomodate this. I was looking at a $300 Yamaha. XVR-440. Anyone have any other suggestions for about $300?

----------------

$300 is a pretty a tight budget for a decent reciever, but there are a few decent options out there. The Yamaha is a good model. Also, the Denon AVR1403, or, if you are willing to spend a tiny bit more, the Denon AVR1603 are worth checking out. Also, you might be able to find the Harmon-Kardon AVR-125 for about that much (or a few dollars more). The Onkyo TX-SR501 is another good brand. There are a few JVC and Kenwood models out there, but I am somewhat iffy on how good they are. I have heard that the newer JVC recievers are pretty good, but I have no experience with them.

As to which of these I'd personally recommend, well I personally have the Denon AVR3802 that I really like, so I would be inclined to tell you to seriously check out the two Denon models I metioned. Others will have thier own opinions (yes - reciever brand can be a hotly debated topic on here sometimes, because everybody has thier own favorites and are willing to vehemently defend thier pick).

Geo I have to say that I have the Panasonic SA-HE70 and I just hate the thing. It is vey easy to use don't get me wrong but for the price I believe the Yamaha is a load better. To me the reciever has a more natural sound to it when you listen to it good. To me the Panasonic is a good reciever but I think it's amp is just not all that well made.

I love the way Harmon/Hardon's look but for their price I just can't afford them? They must use some high quality amps or something.

these are what I am looking at right now and I am looking to buy from this place: www.soundcity.com

They are closest retailer to me and they offer great customer care although there prices are jacked with some products. I am looking from the following below:

Yamaha XVR-400 $300 (not listed on there website)

Harmon Kardon AVR-225 $330 (Refurbished)

Onkyo TSXR-501 $300

Anyone have any suggestions on the three? I know it is a tight budget but it what I have and like I said I am not powering anything very big, just 5 Klipsch Quintets. I would prefer a 6 channel reciever like the Yamaha and also an A-B switch for when I put speakers outside eventually.

Thank you for any help or any suggestions. Also, does Yamaha use good high current amps or no?

Great customer care? Yeah right. At what appears to be LIST prices for these items. No, no, no.

I don't like to come off as a wise guy, Jw_Leonhart, but this outfit is located in New Jersey. I really think you can get much better prices than those from a reputable dealer somewhere else in Jersey without having to drive too far from your home or this dealers location. These guys are selling goods on the Internet and still arent giving you (the local guy) a break if the prices you quoted are correct. I know. I'm a Jersey guy. I'm also the first man to support his local audio/video store before making a purchase on the Internet but something just doesn't jive here for the amount of money you may be paying these people for these receivers. The Yamaha RX-V440 looks O.K. but for Petes sake you should be able to go one step up to the RX-V540 for around 300 bucks. It has a little more power, 4 digital inputs versus 2 on the 440 and 3 S-video inputs that the 440 doesnt have. Im not recommending the 540 or ANY of the receivers you mentioned at the price you are willing to pay. I was just trying to make a point as far as how much more value you may get from your investment if you are willing to look further down the road. I think that you should be able to get a better deal from another authorized local retailer you can trust. I may be wrong but Im also not a guy who is trying to sell you an A/V receiver.1.gif Good Luck.

Good point made BBB, but from what I can see the 440 is about the best I can do with my money right now. I have also looked at Bestbuy and 6th Avenue Electronics. Also, where I live (Bridgewater) there aren't really any good home audio places around or else trust me I would stop in. The closest place I found was in Denville where I used to live around and these guys offer which is where I am getting these prices from now. (Those are store prices but they also sell online).

If someone can find a place to get a XVR-540 for about $300 that would be awesome but from what I can see the best they go for is about $400 since they are new and offer more over the 440.

Also, video is not my concern as I put everything directly into my TV.

Skonopa

I have heard the REL subwoofer only one time before. Was pretty impressed, for music and theatre, but did not know if it had enough "umph" to keep up with the upper end Klipsch line. Any thoughts?

JW--- A lot of BB people seem to like the "Warmness" of the Denon line. By all means get one with at least 5.1 or even better 7.1 Dolby digital, dts, etc., etc., sound. If you wait an extra month or so and stretch yourself up to the next model with just a little more bucks,(If, in fact you feel you really need it), I am sure you will be rewarded.

BBB you seem to be giving some great advice but shouldn't I be kind of weary about buying products from someone who can sell a $400 product for only $280-300? That is what I don't feel comfortable with is that they can sell it for so much cheaper. What's to say it isn't a refurbished product or one that never made it past the "standard" tests to go onto the normal market so they sold it to this place for half of what they usually charge.

That is why I like SoundCity. They may have "list" prices and some "higher" than list prices but I know there is nothing wrong with there products... Just trying to get an idea, hope i'm not coming out with too many questions but I plan to buy a reciever within a week.

I just noticed this btw, shipping is outrageous. I checked one site that has reasonable prices for a reciever and they charged $36 for shipping, every other place was between $60-90. I guess that is how they make their money, through shipping.

But for the RX-V540 it is $280 at the home theatre philes and the shipping was $80. I can't afford $360, and if I did buy it online I would need it overnight.

Well if you want a receiver shipped to you overnight with a shipping weight of around 25 pounds then I've run out of ideas in the $300 range. Some places are 3 days. Crutchfield has a special on a HTR-5540 you might get into your home for less than $300 via 3 day ground.30 day trial period.You can return items for any reason without paying return shipping. Good Luck.

I recently bought RB-75s, HK 525 and Sony SACD player from Sound City in Manahttan. Tomorrow I am picking up a 27inch Sony WEGA. They offer me 15 - 20% off list on all their products. They have to advertise list prices as an authorized dealer, but they will give you a deal when you talk to them - close to what you can get online (actually much better than anything online for the TV), but you get the warantee which I think is worth the extra $. Furthermore I can vouch for their excellent customer service.

James

----------------

On 8/7/2003 7:49:57 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Skonopa

I have heard the REL subwoofer only one time before. Was pretty impressed, for music and theatre, but did not know if it had enough "umph" to keep up with the upper end Klipsch line. Any thoughts?

----------------

The higher end REL's seem to, such as my Storm III. I find that it blends very nicely with the rest of my system. It certainly does help with the lower end - very accurate and very clean bass. It is definitly one of those situations that you don't realize it's working, but if you turn it off, you'll notice something is missing from the music.

However, I would like to get a bit more slam for watching movies, which the REL does not do very good (unless you go even higher up such as the Stadium or Stentor, but those are very expensive subs). It certainly can deliver for movies, though. I am looking into adding an SVS PB-2+ or CS Ultra in the future to help reinforce the bass for movies.

----------------

On 8/7/2003 8:21:00 PM Jw_Leonhart wrote:

What's to say it isn't a refurbished product or one that never made it past the "standard" tests to go onto the normal market so they sold it to this place for half of what they usually charge.

----------------

Something that is "refurbished" does not necessary mean it's bad. In fact, some very good deals can be had by going "refurbished". For example, I bought my Sanyo 4-head, Hi-Fi VCR some 8+ years ago mail-ordered through a Domark catalog as a refurbished unit for about $200. At that time, the same VCR brand-new was well over $300+. To this day, I still have that same VCR in my system, and it works perfectly. It still displays a very nice picture for a VCR. The sound is still crisp and clean, with the help of my other gear. I even recorded the Rush concert that DirecTV had on the "freeview" that I had saved on my Hardrive Recorder to the VCR. I went and played it back, and it looked and sounded just as good as the original, digital, recording.

Given your $300 budget, it may just be worth it to look into refurbished units - you may get a reciever one model higher up the line than if you went brand-new. Also, alot of "refurbished" units had nothing wrong with them to begin with - they were most likely returned units because the person returning it just simply did not like the sound of it. The factory runs these unit through the whole battery of testing again before putting them back out on the market as "refurbished", so the unit would have to go through QA testing at least twice.

Well I may be able to push $400 on a reciever if I get the rest of the people in my house to pitch in a little. So far I see the XVR-440 to be a good deal but it does lack some components while the XVR-540 adds them, but it does cost an extra pretty penny.

I love the way the Harmon-Kardon's look and I just can't get enough of how no reciever has the silver buttons like they do or the neat display they have. Unfortunatly Harmon/Kardon makes no 6.1 recievers and their 7.1 reciever is $500 or so... I definantly want a 6.1 reciever because I plan on upgrading my center channel and it would be nice to have somewhere to put my older center from my Quintet system.

BBB I think you for your help and everyone else, right now I like the Yamaha line-up, good price and everything. Wondering if there is another good company that will make a 6.1 for about $300-400. Would like a few more idea's, and thank you for any opinions anyone gives. BBB you have been very helpful.