Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall 1938

Gregorius

Greetings Gentlemen,

I just returned from the local Goodwill at lunch and I picked up a NM copy of this 2 LP box set, Columbia 2-eye mono OSL-160 for 75 cents. I believe it is from 1956.

I am going to clean it tonight when I get home, fire up the Fisher and Khorns, and take a trip to Carnegie Hall circa 1938 9.gif

Regards,

Greg

That is an AWESOME disc. I have it as well. Then there are his 10" LP's from around 1950. Grab'em if you can.

I also a 12" 78 of "Oh, Baby" that had never been played when I bought it. I think it was cut DD, and the tempo changes noticeably between the first side and the second.

It is one of those that runs circles around CD in shear sonic excitment.

Dave

Nice score!

Yesterday I picked up a number of nm to m albums (usual 50 cents each!). 2 are Tommy Dorsey's "Yes Indeed" and Louis Armstrong's "Jelly Roll." My TT has been acting up lately so I'm waiting for my new Thorens 165 that I accidentally bought off ebay a couple weeks ago before I begin playing all these great lps I've been acquiring. Lots of old jazz & BB. I think if I went to that library every day I'd have 10,000 lps by now. It's unbelievable what I've been finding! So much cheaper than cds and they sound so good.

Greetings Gentlemen,

I did not get a chance to listen to this until last night. I listened to all four sides, and my favorites were Sing, Sing, Sing and Honeysuckle Rose, their renditions of the Gershwin tunes were nice also. This is the first Benny Goodman I have listened to, it was very good. It's hard to believe that this is a 65 yr old recording on a 47 yr old LP that cost 75 cents. My wife even liked it and she does not care much about Jazz.

If they could do that 65 yrs ago with one mike, why do modern engineers have so much trouble getting good recordings with all of the technology that they have at their disposal.

I am going to give it a more critical listen this weekend. Last night it was my daily dose of stress relief music.

Regards,

Greg

>f they could do that 65 yrs ago with one mike, why do modern engineers have so much trouble getting good recordings with all of the technology that they have at their disposal.

The very reason I returned to a minimum signal path (no mixer, only required preamplification), ribbon (no power required) mics, and two mics per channel (i.e., four for surround) recording.

While many mics and a host of equipment may allow flexibility and fixability, I think the sonic cost is too high.

Simple is good.

Waiting on your report, I played a few 78's yesterday...Harry James, Benny Goodman, some acoustics from the teens and '20's, and was reminded again of just how fresh and realy this music and the technology that produced it could be. Kid Ory's "Muskrat Ramble" was a special treat. Not sure I had every played the disc, but what a recording and performance.

To think 10 years ago (and even today) people were using these a frisbees.

Forgive them, for they know not what they do...

Dave

I had (maybe still have) one of Benny Goodman's live at Carnegie Hall recordings... Sing Sing Sing was such a tremendous performance...the energy of the piece was fabulous! I just pulled out a record I still have. It's his golden hits on Columbia c 1972. I'll have to clean and play this later to see if the version of S S S is the same as the Carnegie Hall version. The date on this one is 1/16/38. You could hear from the applause of the audience that the energy transfer was effective, that is, music > performers > audience. Another instance (there are many, I'm sure, but only from what I have) of such enthusiasm in a more recent performance of the Don Ellis Orchestra at the Monterey Jazz Fest in 1966. His Concerto for Trumpet was just as exciting, and the audience reaction was also as revealing as Benny Goodman's.

Just finished a 78 session. Kid Orry, Duke Ellington, Harry James, and more. I never cease to be amazed by the detail and "liveness" of the best 78's. The glissandos on the Kid Orry "Muskrat Ramble" were startlingly real. Real bass on "Take the 'A' Train." Harry James was blowing right in my face.

I really need to organize all those discs. Everytime I start, I wind up sitting and listening in awe...

Dave