Receiver & Speaker question?

stud21

I own a pioneer 6x100 watt receiver and the salesman at the Goodguys told me that if I bought the RF-7's or the rf-5's that I would most probably burn my receiver out and I would destroy it. He said that I would be wasting my money on buying the RF-7's or RF-5's because my receiver wouldn't be able to allow the speakers to work probably and that I would lose performance. He told me that my best bet was to buy the RF-35's. Is he right? I need help thanks.

um - yeah - the guy is smoking weed.

if it is true that u have 100x6 - then there is no way u can burn out the receiver. u could power the rf-5/7 with a 75watt per channel receiver/amp and still not be able to hit max volume without blowing your ears at 120db.

klipsch speakers in general (especially the higher end refs) are VERY sensitive - so u do not need a whole lot of power to power them.

Your fine.

It is obviously one of the new receivers as it is 6.1 - and all of them are good or better. You will be able to get your ears to bleed with that receiver and speaker combo.

I would say go for it and later on you can get a better, more expensive receiver or amp/preamp to up your sound quality.

100 watts (though you know better than to stress the hell out of your receiver, if it can actually put out 100 watts, they sometimes lie a bit, but read on...) would be able to drive the RF-7's to over 120 dB. From the math I have:

90 dB. = .06 watts (yes, 6/100 of a watt)

100 dB. = .6 watts

110 dB. = 7 watts

Not bad 9.gif

As Kenrat and others noted,very little power required.It will take 1 little watt to take the 7's to 102db.It will take 64 watts to go to earsplitting 120db's.That said,the pre amp stage and quality of amps are very important.