The new "tweak of the day"

formica

I'm principally a music fan, but as everyone here knows, this involves audio equipment... so we become "audiophiles" to a certain extent... always searching to improve our musical experiences.

The problem is I'm sometimes embarrassed to tell anyone my interest in audio because of the ridiculous claims made by some "audiophools" and their magical and expensive tweaks. I don't have golden ears to hear the differences of "green markers", "speaker beaks", "magic crystals", etc... I don't even hear the extended frequency response between 20000hz and 22000hz as my hearing (like most males over 25yrs) doesn't extend past 16000hz!

For those questioning the reason for my rant... well some of you may have read the "green marker" thread on here... well I present you the new "tweak of the day" ... the magic crystals

http://www.1388.com/articles/benhome-eng/index.html

but if you want to cut to the chase, it's on the last page at:

http://www.1388.com/articles/benhome-eng/page2/page3/page3.html

and I quote... " He sat the crystal ball and agate on top of each of the two stacked-up tube traps located right in the middle of the back wall and asked me to listen to a familiar CD. ... I almost dropped from the sofa." ... "My system is like a total reborn after Joe spent two tweaking sessions in two consecutive weekends. I have to admit I dont have trained or golden ears, which I think Joe cant agree more. But the improvements were far from subtle. They were stunning." 9.gif9.gif

Sorry Ben, I won't be putting marbles all over my equipement... as everone will know you lost yours... 6.gif

Rob

I read through that article. To be frank, I honostly don't know if this dude was serious or that was a big joke!

I love the part where after the author listed a pretty impressive line-up of equipment in his "humble" system, including Wadia transports, Gryphon amps and pre/pros, some seriously exotic cabling, Avalon speakers, and so forth, you have this:

"After a short introduction, this sound hound started sniffing. He examined my system and asked me to play the track Overture of Dagger Society Suite from Hugo Gold CD. After a short while, he asked me a question Tell me frankly. Could you really sit down to listen CD after CD?

He hit the right spot and my face turned red. No, I told him with all my courage. With a smiling face and softly he said, Please forgive me for going straight to the point, Im not surprised. There isnt much musicality and thats the main reason why you cant enjoy.

Isn't much musicality??!!?? Geeez-louise! I hate to think what that "Joe" would think about my system! Mine is not anywhere nearly as expensive or of that caliber as the system listed in that article, but I found myself listening to things for hours sometimes! Just last night (after spending some time down at the river), I must have sat there for a good 3+ hours just listening to various CD's on my system, and I would have continued, but I did not want to risk having some neighbors ***** about my system being to loud, plus I had to get to bed.

Amazes me how some people can still spend that kind of money, but still seems to get so tied up in the minutia that they forget to just listen to the music! Yes, I would like to make some improvements to my system, such as better amps, but holy cow!

Than the magic stones! I find it hard to believe that placing little bits of crystals around on the components is really going to do anything for the sound. Hey, I wonder if I can get my dog to lay down in just the right spot and all of a suddenly the "Sound stage will suddenly open up and be more expansive! The mid-ranges will be more clearer. The highs will be sweeter and airier. The bass will be deeper and extend with more authority!"

Hey, those of you that have cats that like to jump up on the speakers - does your system suddenly sound much better with the cat laying on the speaker vs without?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I very happy with the sound of my system as it currently is - no screwy teaking going on here.

P2131370.jpg

Of course, there's always the problem of balance mismatching. The majority of the time I listen to music, only one cat at a time will perch atop my horn speakers, and hardly (if ever) will they be seated on my Cornwalls at the very same time. This causes a fuzzy inbalance with the untreated catless loudspeaker, which results in a blurred overall soundscape. Getting the two cats to tweak both loudspeakers simultaneously is a feat to be sure, especially when listening to the final movement, or "Allegro vivace" of Peter Tschaikowsky's Ouverture Solennelle "1812", Op. 49...they just refuse to sit still during the climatic cannon shots!

So I usually only listen to my Cornwalls untreated in the usual normal stereo mode...so much for tweaks!

post-11084-13819248726434_thumb.jpg

Sorry to be redundant, but I thought that speaker beak situation was covered here. Note the puny head and silly topknot..looks beaky to me

main.jpg

guinea.jpg

The marble situation seems to be totally out of control...all of mine are missing. However; their loss is not lamented. As to the discussion of anti-static roller balls,... well having no balls at all, I have to decline any commentary.

----------------

On 8/8/2003 6:38:04 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Of course, there's always the problem of balance mismatching. The majority of the time I listen to music, only one cat at a time will perch atop my horn speakers, and hardly (if ever) will they be seated on my Cornwalls at the very same time. This causes a fuzzy inbalance with the untreated catless loudspeaker, which results in a blurred overall soundscape. Getting the two cats to tweak both loudspeakers simultaneously is a feat to be sure, especially when listening to the final movement, or "Allegro vivace" of Peter Tschaikowsky's Ouverture Solennelle "1812", Op. 49...they just refuse to sit still during the climatic cannon shots!

So I usually only listen to my Cornwalls untreated in the usual normal stereo mode...so much for tweaks!

----------------

That is just too good! You know, I never could get that damn dog to stay put and as soon as she moved, the whole soundstage would just collapse! Oh well, so I just run my system "dogless". Yep, so much for tweaks!

----------------

On 8/8/2003 5:06:31 PM skonopa wrote:

I wonder if I can get my dog to lay down in
just the right spot
and all of a suddenly the ... bass will be deeper and extend with more authority!

----------------

I'm sure your dog could help with your woof-ers output.... 9.gif

----------------

On 8/9/2003 3:18:59 AM kenratboy wrote:

..."Cats like expesive audio equiptment".

----------------

Especially knawing on expensive audio interconnects!7.gif

Or using your grill cloth as a scratching post!6.gif

----------------

On 8/10/2003 10:28:03 AM jt1stcav wrote:

----------------

On 8/9/2003 3:18:59 AM kenratboy wrote:

..."Cats like expesive audio equiptment".

----------------

Especially knawing on expensive audio interconnects!
7.gif

Or using your grill cloth as a scratching post!
6.gif

----------------

Once, I was working on my system, tossed a interconnect on the floor, looked over and my cat had 'hunted', 'caught', and was in the process of 'killing it'. But you gotta love him 1.gif

Gary-

Is this any better? Frankly, I find Marilyn E Neuman (or is it Alfred E Monroe? I forget) far more frightening than Pennywise.

JT-I'd try the furball tweak myself, but I'm afraid the cats would like their new perches too much. I'ts bad enough that they consider cables and wires special kitty treats.