Build a La Scala using Heresey components ?

Greetings. Has anyone ever had so much spare time that they built or conceived of making a downsized La Scala type of enclosure to handle heresey components? I understand that the big Knock against Heresey's is ther low end reproduction. in my case I just don't have the room for LaScala's so I was wondering............dreaming IS still free?! Isn't it?

Please let me know if this is a pipedream or what? If it's been done I'd sure like to hear about it. Thanks Dan MacLean4.gif

You can get more out of Heresy components buy building a ported, tower cabinet. There is some question of the La Scala bass horn being able to reach the 700 Hz cut-off frequency of the Heresy squawker horn. If you make the La Scala horn smaller, you will make it shorter, raising its cut-off frequency. Since the La Scala struggles to get down to 55 Hz, you don't want to make it smaller.

Could you point me in the direction of some plans for a ported "super"-Heresey enclosure?

It might be the ideal solution for a freind, who likes my Klipsch, but can't find a product that fits his rather unique space. He wants more base than a Heresey can put out, and while we could possibly squeeze in a pair of Choruses, it would be very tight. I am getting some Hereseys later this month, and would consider giving new cabinets a try, as the ones I'll be geting need a cabinet refinishing very badly.

There is an interesting thread on this forum about optimizing Heresy elements with a larger enclosure. Do a search for "heresy on steroids". Mr. Al Klappenberger is guy who designed it. He has also designed some awesome crossovers for Khorn/LaScala and Cornwall/Heresy.

That would be a fun project to take on.

Regards, and welcome to the forum,

Dee

The data I have is still at work. I believe the magic number is 3 cu. ft. I was able to get that volume in a corner configuration that was tall and had a footprint just smaller than the Heresy would have. You'll have to download/buy a box design program. It will give you the volume and you will have to play with the dimensions to get what you want.

By the way,

Here's some more details on the big Heresy,

The high end is in the top box. It's the squawker from my Belles (K55V and K501 horn) with a Beyma CP09 tweeter. The crossover is an extreme slope type of my own design (70 dB / Octave). The high end and crossover from the Heresy would be ok though. The total package goes from 30 Hz to 21,000 Hz. Sensitivity is about 90 dB / 1W / 1 Meter

The picture is before the grill cloth was put on.

Al K.

post-2934-13819248733064_thumb.jpg

Well, the forum today is not being helpful and allowing me to send e-mail or anything.

Soooo, Al, could you please send me a .DWG file?

Also, does anyone have a recommendataion on speaker design software? I can do the CAD stuff, my friend is a fine carpenter, and between us we can probably give this a shot.

He is remodeling his basement and trying to up the WAF, so a big subwoofer may well be out of the question. We will audition my SW-12 II with the Heresey's, but it has a very low WAF. He listens to lots of classical, and wants more bass than a Heresey can manage on its own. Additionally, as part of the remodel /WAF process, we need to confine our efforts to the end of his listening area/home theatre, so we need to squeeze all this stuff into an oddly-shaped "stage" area that holds his rear-projection TV. Rear-ported or rear passive-radiator designs are just out, as there is little rear clearance, and there's no good place to put a center channel unless it is suspended from the ceiling or back wall above the TV.

He going to listen to my Heresey's when they get here, and I could see him ending up with three Heresey's across the front and another pair tucked in discreetly as rears. But, given the confines of his space, and the WAF changes going on, three new front cabinets (two for more bass, one for better center alignment) could be in the mix.

• 3 weeks later...