Heresy Crossover reworking?

milton10

Hey Guys,

I am the proud new owner of a pair of circa 1978 Heresy's type 1. One of the tweeters has low output, and thought it was blown. According to Klipsch's technical service dept, the problem might be in the canister type capacitor that is original type "E" network. I was told to check inside the canister to see if any oil is leaking from the capacitor. The idea of having to change out my capacitors led me to two questions:

(1) If I change out the caps, shouldn't I change out the inductor as well?

(2) If I do a complete overhaul (caps & inductors) should I just "upgrade" to the ALK crossovers (I will build them on my own). The cost of a 2.5 12ga inductor is about $45 a side - for about $70 more, I can build the ALK's.

My drivers are all Alnico - K-77, K-55-V & K-22-E.

Any ideas or personal experiences? All replies welcome.

Thanks!

Milton

I get myself into trouble by trying to do too much at once. I'd first straighten out the tweeter problem.

It seems you're adept in the art if you're going to build a new crossover from scratch.

In order to diagnose the tweeter or cap issue, you might try swapping them with known good units from the other speaker. Replacing the diaphragm is not that difficult, should it be necessary.

You might want to take stock of what you have in the present crossovers and try some mods closer to the ALK design before buying all new components. But that is up to you, naturally.

Best,

Gil

Yep! One thing at a time.

I like the sound of Hovland Musicaps. First move the low tweeter to the other cabinet to confirm it is not the tweeter. Then replace the caps with Hovlands or your favorite, new. If that fixes the problem, consider other upgrades. If it doesn't look for other problems using the attached Schematic as a guide. I have a modification for the Type E that drops the squawker and tweeter closer to the output of the woofer. I had to do it to get a tonal match for my La Scalas.

post-2142-13819248735588_thumb.jpg

One thing else to try, swap the polarity on the tweeter.

It is possible the previous owner change the diaphragm and it may be out of phase.

That will lower the output from the tweeter on a Heresy I.

When you check the caps for any possible wetness, it will more than likley be where the wire/solder points are.

Building an ALK crossover for a Heresy is probably not cost effective, per ALK himself.

You certainly do not need to change the inductors when you change the capacitors. You may or may not hear a difference because of the cap change. But IMHO you will not hear a difference because of an inductor change if you keep the DCR close to the same value. You might try omitting the inductors and see how that sounds.

Definitely make one change at a time. That way you can tell what change caused what result. I would also recommend you make the changes to one speaker and leave the other one stock until you are happy with the results. That way you have something to compare to. Hearing memory is notoriously poor.

If you change the inductor to a Solen solid wire inductor, 12 awg, you will hear a difference. The old inductors are okay, but can be definately improved upon. If you check for past Heresy posts using the search engine here, you will find the value of the inductor. The value escapes me at the moment, maybe 2.4 mH. It depends on the network, type E? It is listed on the crossover.

One thing to remember, replacing the caps or inductors will require over 100 hours to burn them in properly. 150-200 hours gets you to the point where they sound the way they should. I know some don't believe this, but, in my experience this is what happens. I replaced both the capacitors and inductors in my Cornwalls. Not too difficult if you can use a soldering iron.

The ALK versions do provide some benefit, but are very costly for the small improvement. Try just replacing the tweeter cap 1.5 or 2.0 uF value with a Hovland and the inductor. It will give you most of the benefit for less money. The inductors are the big ticket item if you go with thicker wire.

Don