Replace the AK-2 with Al's Network

StickMan

Gentlemen,

I'm thinking about getting Al's Khorn replacement network for my 1988 AK-2 Khorns. Just how good are Al's replacements and what improvements should I hear?

My Rig:

1988 Khorn AK-2

Sony SCD-777ES SACD

Audio Research LS3 preamp

VTL 125 mononblocks run in "Triode" for 55 watts, EL34's

JPS Labs SuperConductor+ Interconnects

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire

Custom Power Cord Power Block and Eleven Power Cords (very good and very reasonably priced)

Al's ALK crossovers are not a drop in replacement to the AK-2 crossover unfortunately. The AK-2 is hard-soldered in place and there is no terminal strip on them. It would not be too tough to install the ALK, just add spade lugs to the wire ends to connect to the terminal block on the ALK. In addition, their is a coil and some caps on the woofer door that would have to be removed as well. Upgrading to the AK-3 by changing some of the components on the AK-2 should yield great results. It appear it would involve changing the cap values in the woofer chamber and the coil for the midrange. I have '88 Khorns with AK-2's and have been told the AK-2 is the worst crossover to have. I have both the AK-2 & AK-3 crosover schematics and think I know what I need to order to get them upgraded.

Thanks Don,

My '88's do sound good, however I am sure they can easily be improved upon. It would be interesting to see how much difference their really is changing to the AK-3. I have the schematics and have compared the two, it seems it would not be too difficult to change the AK-2 to an AK-3 but I have been reluctant to do so since they work fine as is. I have heard that is one of the best to have. Where in Vermont are you located? You do beautiful work with wood! That mini Khorn looks stunning. Someday when I purchase a home I need to find someone to refinish my three La Scala's. Anyway, it would be nice to do a comparison before jumping in. Do you have a pair of AK-3's, I assume they are on two separate boards.