Yamaha RX-V1

bsacco

OK, now I'm ready to tackle my next purchase...my HT AV receiver for under $1,000.

Here's my research so far.

I'm very impressed with the Yamaha RX-V1. Clean, features, processing, price ...etc..

Denon, not as clean as the Yamaha, no sparkle on high end, too expensive.

Marantz...no data yet.

Outlaw...neutral solid amp, good price ...but no HT features.

Onkyo...no data yet

pioneer...no data yet

SONY... awful thin sound, overpriced, overated

Please chime in if anyone has any ideas....

I've heard H/K makes a great reciever, however I've only had experience with McIntosh preamp/amp (MC-602 I think, beyond my budget), Denon 3803, yamaha rxv630-rxz1, Pioneer vsx-d608s through vsx-45TX, and Sony STR-DE885 and STR-D4ES. Also some various Kenwood models.

Yamaha RX-V1 is a great reciever. Many options, great for HT and music, and very reasonably priced

Denon...Liked the 3803 and think it has a slight edge over the yamaha with music (both tested with RF-35s)

Marantz...Never heard one

Outlaw...Never heard one, but would very much like to

Onkyo...Never heard one

pioneer... I was impressed by the pioneers HT ability, but it sounded a bit more compressed with 2 channel. Also, on the more inexpensive pioneer models the Xover options are sometimes limited. eg vsx-d811s xover options are 100,150, and 200 but you should be able to get a real good unit with your price range.

SONY...I agree with your comment on the sony, I noticed the models I heard were a bit harsh with klipsch, but were more laid back with some other speakers.

Some people say yamaha is a bit too bright with klipsch, others will tell you its not. factors may include what klipsch line was used with the yamaha, tone control used/not used, movies, music, source material, ect. There are so many opinions. Some people will take a 67 camaro over a porsche 911 or a mercedes over a BMW, its all what you prefer, what your gift of hearing tells you. To each his own in a good way.

I almost bought an RX-V1. It sounded pretty good powering my RF-7s and I liked the tremendous amount of input and output connections. My dealer used this receiver to power many of the Klipsch speakers in their show room. I wanted a little more power so I went for something else and at the time they wanted close to the list price for it. $3,200. Yikes! Later on Pro Logic II became popular and the RX-V1 didnt have it. Since DPLII was handy for enhancing VCR tapes and TV programs it became a big selling feature for new receivers. A few months later they were trying to unload new stock for $1,600.Some people think Yamaha missed the boat on the DPLII issue and lost a lot of sales because of it. I was tempted to pick one up even though I already had a receiver I liked but getting this thing for half price looked very attractive. They had both black and gold available but I wanted a 7.1 channel receiver powering 2 rear surrounds. $1,000 for an RX-V1 in excellent condition or a left over one new in the box sounds like a good deal to me. Heres and old review in Home Theater magazine. Yamaha RX-V1

Which Onkyo are you looking at?