Making My Own Cables

JamesDL

I've been doing research on what cables to buy for my new system... right now I need 2 lengths of 10 foot bi wire speaker cable, 2 three foot lengths of component video cable, 3 lengths of 3 foot stereo analog RCA cables (for SACD multichannel) and a subwoofer cable. Down the road I will need speaker cable for center and surrounds. I also need a TOS Link cable. The reccomendations for speaker cable on this board seem to be with Canare... however, even with this "moderately" priced cable, the total for the above will be a lot more than I want to spend (which is generally the case with everything for me :)

It looks like I can buy the same canare cable in bulk for under $1.00 a foot, buy very nice connectors for $2-$5 a piece, and invest in the crimping and stripping tools for around $100 - $150, and save a few hundred dollars in the end. Not to mention that if I ever need to change cables or add more cables in the future their marginal cost will be negligible. I have experience with making custom length computer network cables, and I have taken some basic electronics courses, so it all seems simple enough to me.

If anyone here has made their own cables, I would appreciate any advice or input you have to offer. Especailly with what crimper and other tools I should get, and how to match the die set on the crimper to the cable. Matching the cable and connectors should be easy, I plan to stick with Canare for both.

Thanks,

James

Hi JamesDL, I've been making my own cables for a couple of years now, using Belden 8241F RG59 coax and Canare true 75 ohm three-piece, crimp-on RCA connectors. The Belden coax is, of course, 75 ohm and it has a fairly low capacitance rating and is suitable for analog audio, digital audio and video. I've used it for each of those functions. It also has a stranded center conductor, so it is very flexible. The Canare connector is the RCAP-C4F. Canare also manufactures an RG59 which is the equivalent of the Belden, but I don't know the model number offhand. The Canare website has the measurements for how to strip the RG59, or you could buy a stripping tool for about $50 which will strip the two layers of insulating material automatically. I use a crimping tool that I bought from Radio Shack for about $15.00. I've bought my materials from Markertek. I'm convinced that it's the best way to go and can't see myself going back to store-bought cables.

Hi Doug: Yes, Radio Shack sells a stripper for about $10 which can be set up to strip the insulation for F connectors, but for the lengths you have to strip specifically for the Canare RCA connectors, you have to either buy their custom stripper, or strip the insulation layers individually by hand. You can't use the Radio Shack tool for these connectors.

Actually, it's three layers which have to be cut. First is the exterior black sheathing, then is the braided silver/copper conductor and then is the dielectric around the center core. Because of the three-piece configuration of the Canare connector, each layer has to be stripped to a very specific length.

Ok... so I looked up prices for Canare's crimper and and the die set I need for their component video cable and connectors I would want to use, the VC-3 cable with RCAP-C3A connectors. The price for the crimper is $85 and the die is $95... why is it so much? It sounds like any inexpensive crimper will do... will the rat shack one work just as well? Then their is Canare's automatic stripper which is $115... I can just use a razor blade.

Thanks,

James

When I first started looking into this, I couldn't understand why the tools were so expensive. I think it becomes cost effective when you are a business and you construct hundreds of cables. For my purpose, and I think your purpose, a razor blade, or sharp knife is fine. The key is: Stripping off the correct lengths of the various layers so that the RCA connector makes proper contact with the conductors.

James-

I have also made my own interconnect cables using the following components.

Canare LV-77S -- large but very flexible cable ($0.57/foot)

Canare RCAP-C77 -- RCA terminations for the 77S cable ($2.53 each)

Canare FPC-5-04 -- F-style termination for the 77S cable ($2.43 each)

I purchased the Canare strippers and crimp tool & dies. The reason they are so expensive is that they are meant to do 100,000+ crimps, therefore they need to be strong and durable. Do I regret purchasing these tools? HECK NO, as a researcher i absoutly believe in the proper tools for a job. It takes less then 2 minutes to terminate both ends of a cable. No thinking or guess work required, and I have never messed up a crimp with these tools. I purchased everything from Have Inc, they are nice, quick, and reasonably priced.

TS100E Stripper $95.94 ** Don't need this stripper, if you are only going to do one type of cabling

TC-1 Tool $72.46

TCD-5CF Die $61.23

Have, Inc.

Hudson, NY

ph: (888) 999-4283

Sales Rep: Trish Bonifacio (ext #: 236)

Basically every interconnect cable in my HT system is now Canare (minus one Component cable), I'm even thinking about replacing my Monster Speaker cables with the Canare StarQuad 4S11, but I just enjoying listen to my system too much to bother swapping out cables yet.... who knows when I'll get the upgrade itch again

The price savings isn't great (if at all), since I have spent about $450 on the cable parts. However, what I have gotten is much higher quality cable and terminations that won't KILL/BREAK my $$$ electronics when I swap things around, won't threaten to fall off in my hands every time I handle them, and custom links. Every time I tried to get a cable, they NEVER had the length I needed or wanted, I either had to get much longer or pay more for the length I wanted...it was really annoying. Frankly, the Canare route has been VERY worth while and I won't go back to purchasing cables, unless I can't easily make them myself.

-Dave

PS: If you would be interested, I still have a bit of stuff left over from my last cable batch, I could whip up a few for minimal cost, that way you wouldn't have to purchase the tools.

Pyro -

Would you be able to make 2 component video cables, a 3 foot and 5 foot length, and a 3 foot digital audio RCA cable? I'm not totally sure about these lengths, I am moving to a new apartment soon and will need to measure, but if you are interested, send me an email at jamesdl@sas.upenn.edu with a ballpark price.

I also decided to see about going a non-canare way, and at amazon.com it looks like I can get acoustic research component video cables and digital audio cable for around $10 a cable... I might go this way, as I've hear dthat acoustic research makes decent cables.

James

James-

Sure, it shouldn't be a problem, as long as I can get the proper cabling. I currently have just the single channel cable and not any of the 3-channel needed for a good component video cable. I do need one for myself, so I'll check if I can get some. If I can, it would be no trouble to make up a few for you.

In the ballpark??? Oh heck, you are about 3 blocks from my office when you are on campus, so that isn't in the outfield of the ballpark, thats in the infield! Just give me a shout when you get your new place and could swing over and whip the cables out (if i can get the right cable)

-Dave

dblenhert@drexel.edu