Stripped Speaker screw holes

MotorHead

I recently purchased a RX3 system (2-RF3II, 2-RS3II, RC-3 and KSW-12). When one of the RF3II's arrived, the upper cone speaker was hanging out of the cabinet. Three of the screws holes in the cabinet were stripped out, and there is slight damage to the black paint on the front of the cabinet. The speaker itself seems undamaged and it does work.

I bought the system from Reliableaudiovideo.com, and they have been very helpful, actually far surpassing my expectations. (so far so good!) They are willing to adjust the price if I fix it myself or send me a new one.

My question is how to best repair the stripped screw holes if I decide to do it myself. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Well there is the bigger screw method but if not possible then

You could remove the other speaker, then using nuts and bolts secure the speaker that has the stripped holes. I would either use loctite or double nut the bolt to prevent or prolong the loosing due to vibrations.

the reinstall the other speaker and take the credit from Reliable Audio.

Tops 30 minutes of your time.

Scott

They use a really strange torx head screw, so I'm sort of stuck with the original screws to keep it original.

The only thing I could think of was to drill a quarter inch hole, glue in a dowl and drill a new hole in the dowl for the original screw. Any idea how that would work in the MDF material they use fo the cabinet?

Jim

What I would do is jam some toothpicks, wooden matchsticks, or some other soft wood hunks in each hole, with plenty of carpenters yellow glue. Let it dry, trim the wood flush with the surface, attach the speaker using the one good hole, then drill out the repaired holes using a Vix bit (self-centering bit used in mounting hinges, and such. It keeps the screw hole centered on the hole in the hardware, or in this case, the speaker flange).

fini

All the above suggestions will work, but I'm a tooth pick man myself. Can't you just rotate the speaker a few degrees and make four new holes?

I woundn't worry about using a different kind of screw then the original ones either. But, that's me.

Gorilla glue. We used this glue to hold up a 15' 2x10 on the horizontal beam. After the glue dried we gave it the hang on test. 350 pounds hanginon the beam did not budge the board. I am sure it will permanently hold the rf3 speaker. especially if the toothpick method is used in conjunction.

OK, I think I've got a handle on it.

My options are: A new speaker, toothpicks, gorilla glue, cotton/glue, or drill the hole to 1/4" and press/glue a 1/4 dowl in the new hole, then drill the dowl.

Now I have to decide what it's worth to repair the speaker vs getting a new one. What's the magic number? The RF3II is only a $300 speaker, so I was thinking if they gave me $100 I'd be OK. That would save them the shipping both ways plus the cost of a new speaker.

Even the most complicated fix would probably only take me a couple hours, and the toothpick or cotton route only a few minutes, so I'm thinking I'll offer them the option: $100 or a new speaker.

Reasonable?