Feedback

hightone

I just recently picked up a turntable. I was listening to a record and noticed the speaker was vibrating a bit more than usual. I inquired at the local audio shop bout what this could be. I was informed that it was low distortion feedback. The louder I play it the more the woofers go nuts. It is fine with cd however. How do you guys fix this problem? I live on the third floor and its a suspended floor and could use a better rack. Any short term ideas short of a heavy duty rack or concerate floor?

Generally speaking providing some means to isolate the turntable from vibration will go a long way toward correcting this problem. The thing to bear in mind is that this type of behaviour will muddy the sound of your recordings even though you are not necessarily aware of the effect until such time as you have eliminated it.

The sub-sonic filter mentioned by reel 2 reel would be helpful to a degree but would deal only with the most extreme low frequencies. I was experiencing acoustic feedback due to vibration and ressurected an old Discwasher turntable isolation platform and the improvement in the overall sound of my vinyl is astounding.

There are many devices available that can provide a high degree of isolation and a high degree of isolation can be achieved relatively inexpensively. One device worth considering is produced by Aural Thrills and involves a platform suspended on an inflatable bladder.

One caveat however, one of our members has recently had a very negative experience with that company. There was a thread recently that detailed a rather nasty chain of events regarding their return policy.

Let me suggest a no cost experiment.

Fold up some bath towels and put them under the turntable. It shouldn't be be too difficult to build up a 1 inch layer without creating a leveling problem. That may solve the problem.

Gil

" I was also told that some woofer movement is normal with records in comparison to say cd because of subsonic frequencies. Is this true? "

Not really. Subsonics generally only occur when warped records are played. Subsonic content has doubtlessly been recorded in some cases but is almost never problematic with a decently set up turntable.

What turntable are you using BTW ?

***Yes Target wall mount stands are still made I am gona give this a shot. What are you using to dampen it further with?

I was also told that some woofer movement is normal with records in comparison to say cd because of subsonic frequencies. Is this true?***

A Towshend sink (inflatable tubes inside very heavily damped upper and lower plates). I have the older "2-D" model under the turntable. The good news: it smoothed out and purified the reproduction to some noticeable degree. The less-good news: they do leak slowly and must be pumped up periodically (a pump comes with the sink). I'm not sure it's widely distributed in the U.S. any more, there are probably other products that do as well.

I can't see my woofer (K-horns) so I don't really know, wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks to all.

I put the turntable on a wall mounted rack and WOW it cleaned it up. Much cleaner sound and no more tiptoeing around. I can now fully appreciate what this very fine table can do. I did notice the record that gave me some trouble was not perfectly flat I am sure that made it worse. By the time it got tward the third track the woofer flutter was not even close to what it was on the first track. Thanks again.

"By the time it got tward the third track the woofer flutter was not even close to what it was on the first track"

Warped record

pinch warp=8hz

saddle warp=1/2hz

Tone arm and Cartridge resonance

8hz~14hz

RIAA EQ curve boosts the LF at a 6dB/oct rate which amplifies all of the above.

Particularly dangerous to vented speakers.

Remove with high pass filter in tape loop or between preamp and power amplifier.

20hz 18dB/oct

30hz 12dB/oct

Virtually all Audio Control products have an 18dB/oct 20hz filter built in, some also have a rumble reducer to get rid of turntable vertical bearing noise without rolling off the bass.