Surge tripping ?

Dale W

Recent dusting off of the ss monster ( rotel RB1090 380wpc ) has resulted in tripping into surge protection mode once the beast is warm . This has never been an issue before and is starting to piss me off a bit.

I've changed nothing in my system latly !! checked all wires and conections and so far have drawn a blank as to the source of the demon.

If resistance is not the cause of my heat build up , then i've likly got a internal problem . Opening the case on this beast is like peeling the back off your computer,not to mention she wieghs almost 100 lbs.

Anyone think of something simple i may be overlooking ? before i get to carried away ripping things apart .

Dale

You mention "Dusting Off" - Is it possible that you have dumped a substantial quantity of dust onto the heat sinks of the power transistors thereby reducing the sinks' ability to cool thereby triggering the thermal protection circuits ? I suspect that even if that were the case - the tripping out would not be explained unless one hello of a lot of dust got disturbed but.........

Use a can of compressed air and give the amp a really good BJ (all around - Front/back Top/bottom/left Side/Right Side).

Your description indicates that you have moved the amp around --- Have you checked to eliminate shorts at the output terminals and at the speaker terminals?

that would be my guess as well, chech first all external connections. see if there isnt a minute particle going between connections, it really does not take much, and if that is not the case it could be an accumulation inside, try some canned air, and blow your unit out, do it well, but that should clear onstructions, or vacume out your unit12.gif