An interesting question for all LP freaks...

Mallette

Hard to tell what you might hear, Kelly. That's why I sent you the CD's. If I wanted a fan club, I'd have sent them to somebody else. ;-)

The Holly record hits me just like I said. To my ears, it's about as close to Buddy as anyone will ever be. Digital remastering for analog is not constrained by the same issues as for CD, but is certainly subject to the same abuses. Steve Hoffman, who engineered this disc, seems to have avoided all the abuses and used the medium at its best.

Dave

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone is interested here are some lps for sale--not on ebay.

The Husker Du lp Metal Circus is a favorite & duplicate, I've never heard the Willie Alexander, I don't like GONE (seen them live), the others are ok. I would also trade.

Willie Loco Alexander - Autre Chose, Live (SEALED, double lp, $8.00) on NEW ROSE out of France. A popular early Boston act.

GONE - Lets get real, real gone for a change (looks like new), Black Flag guitaristh and SST founder Greg Ginn from 1986, SST records (of course). $4.00

HUSKER DU - Metal Circus EP (cover has a couple less than 1" wringles around the corners, VG+; lp has a couple light marks when I hold it to a bulb, contains an SST flyer, VG+?). SST. Contains the early hit/popular track "Diane" $4.00

GREEN ON RED - Gravity Talks, Slash, lp look NrMt or better, cover has corner wear $1.00

ART OF NOISE - In No Sense? Nonsense (nrmt, shrink wrap not removed but opened and played, hole punch in corner. Contains "Dragnet $1.00

HUNTERS & COLLECTORS - 1983 A&M - Record looks NrMt, cover has ring wear. Australian band with cool cover. Contains "Talking to a Stranger" $1.00

I posted the 12 classic rock lp lot (ie Chicago, Nugent, clapton) and 12 70's disco lot (ie Donna SUmmer, BeeGees) on ebay

I could probably pull out about 30 80's MTV hair-cut, poppy new wave, white boy soul wannabe, synthesizer & guitar, Duran Duran follow-on, once post-punk now turned pop, major label big selling out of date bands like:

* Modern English, Ultravox, Spandeau Ballet, Howard Jones, AhHa, UB40, Brian Ferry, Suburbs, etc.

I need to trim my record closet to make room for more.

It's been my experience with vinyl in music stores that the two areas keeping new vinyl alive are indie pop bands (I've been hooked on Apples in Stereo lately..Discovering a World Inside the Moone is an excellent album on vinyl for anyone who's interested) and hip-hop groups. My local music store (the one truly "local" music store here that really matters anymore) has a pretty large stock of both genres on vinyl, which I've been hitting up for the indie stuff a lot lately. There's a LOT of really good music out there that's very different from the mainstream pop crap that gets pushed out on the radio these days, it's just a little bit harder to find.

Oh, so I forgot the main point I was getting at (sorry, I got about 2 hours of sleep last night because my work schedule was funky this week...student jobs can do that)

Anyway, I have actually bought a whole lot more new vinyl lately than I have used vinyl. I don't have a proper record cleaning machine, nor do I have a suitable location to hand wash them, so it's a lot easier to put up with new vinyl than it is to struggle to listen to loads of pops and clicks from used vinyl, especially considering that the last local used record store has closed up shop, at least for the most part. I'm sure I could get really good deals out of someone like goodwill, but until I can clean up the records and hear them in all their proper glory, it's not really worth it to me.

gerbache: I assume you are younger. Are you alone in your pursuit of vinyl, or do you see others in your age group being introduced to "the auld skool?"

We keep hearing from those raised during the CD era who reach out to LP, but I've often wondered just how significant the trend is.

Of course, it doesn't take many to cause prices to go up!

Dave

I always thought I would be one of the very few of the CD generation who is into vinyl, but I'm discovering that it's become a relatively popular thing, at least among those of us who are into music for more than the latest pop craze. I work in a residence hall at my university, so I have people in and out of my room all the time, and they all have been enthralled by my turntable, with several who tell me that they're wanting to get one and will come to me for advice.

It's become a sort of personal mission of mine to get the other students here into more music that the popular stuff, either through getting them out to local shows or constantly playing my more offbeat music. So far, it seems to be rather successful, as many people are listening to things that they'd never have imagined before.

I doubt vinyl will ever become mainstream with my generation, but it is making a rather impressive comeback, considering my family got our first CD player when I was like 4 years old (my dad is a HUGE music collector, both on vinyl and CD, so he was a relatively early adopter of CDs in the 80s). I imagine that at least a few people are like me, in that my dad had an enormous amount of vinyl that he kept playing regularly at least up until around 90-91. After that, I'm afraid he went to the dark side and didn't start to come back until I got into vinyl recently.

Well, this thread is confirming what I suspected. The resurgence of LP is greater than many have indicated, and probably only getting underway. Better grab for all the goodies I can get before you and your buddies do...

Hope your dad didn't ditch his vinyl. Once he has a TT again, he'll be going "Oh, I used to have a great copy of 'X'..."

While the LP resurgence will not, as you said, be a significant segment of the population, I DO believe that it will have a significant impact on the music business. The reason is that (IMOH), while small in numbers, it represents those who spend considerable money on thier recordings.

Dave

Fortunately, my dad is far too attached to his vinyl to ever get rid of it, not to mention that it would require a couple truckloads to get it all out of the house. I was really fortunate to grow up in a family like mine, in terms of my music appreciation. Dad had me listening to more offbeat and eclectic stuff all the way through my childhood, so now I can honestly say that I listen to nearly every style of music imaginable.

Dad actually never got rid of his turntable, but he never had a really stellar one (his is one of the Denons from their heyday of turntables), and the cartridge hasn't been changed in probably forever. The bright side is that after he came up and heard my setup with a Music Hall MMF-5, he's started asking me about what it would take to get a good sounding vinyl setup running again, so there's still hope that he'll come around again.

gerbache - As stated in a post I made above:

The underground indie scene had almost ALL their releases in LP form which tends to smoke the CD equivelant almost without fail; litereally, I have found there is almost no contest between the two, but this with a good analog setup, something I have either been around or owned since the 70s. Indeed, the independent bands and labels actually kept the vinyl juggernaut rolling all through the 80s and into the early 90s when vinyl was struggling in a big way, at least with new production.

If willing to jump headlong into the maw of the indie world, something that is surely an acquired taste to be sure, you will be met with a large selection of new material via LP. And the indie studios were really trying to do things simple with less compression and/or processing. Most studios through the 80s-90s and on, were attempting to use EVERYTHING on hand with processing taking on epic proportions. And the music sounded it as well.

There are seemingly more indie releases via LP than almost any of the other genres although not as much as in the 80s when that was the ONLY format they were using.

To address Dave's topic yet again, there are quite a lot of guys in their 20-30s that are buying this stuff in vinyl. You would really be surprised. A few have decent systems but the majority dont. Tubes are really unheard of (perhaps one out of 100)except in guitar amps where they dominate with my musician friends. But vinyl is alive and NEW vinyl at that. It's a small segment but a healthy one.

kh

I would agree that vinyl has been increasing in popularity. The HOUSE/TECHNO DJ crowd and indie niches kept it alive through move to CD but these niches seem to have increased the demand for vinyl recently. I see an increasing number of new sealed vinyl lps at stores across the US. Sure they have the DJ and indie stuff but I'm now seeing more popular indie/major lable lps like Guided by Voice and Soft Boys as well as many of the classic ALT ROCK lps on 180g vinyl...these are the albums that are hard to find on any format being rereleased on 180g...Richard Hell, Dead Boys, Ramones, old Soft Boys, etc. seem popular on 180g.

I've also seen some new vinyl used from Tori Amos, Beastie Boys, Pearl Jam, REM, etc. who seem to be having an increaed demand for their lps on vinyl.

There does seem to be a 20-something crowd that only new CDs that sees vinyl as cool...and not just for scratching.

I am also surprised at how strong the interest is for early 80's hardcore punk. Indie lps from obsure 80's bands like THE FREEZE, AGNOSTIC FRONT, FU's, etc. seem to be selling used for $15-$30. I thought they were pretty obsure at the time and didn't think anyone would care 20 years later but punk pop bands of today like Green Day, etc. seem to have sparked a lot of interest.

Gerbache: Nice to return the favor to old dad, eh?

My children's diet is mostly classical and jazz, with occasional classic rock. I'm not being snotty about it, but, it's my opinion that their pop tastes will take care of themselves if I take care of their education. Same for religion. Best aetheists were raised in the church. At least they are educated about what they don't believe. ;-)

However, I'm proud to say my 5 year old often says "Let's listen to music!" and when I'm piling up my computers and mics for a gig, she says "You going to make music?"

Kelly: What is the reasoning behind these indie bands (I know nothing about them or what they play) doing vinyl with its extra problems and expense if their target audience has mediocre equipment? And what drives the target group to acquire mediocre LP equipment? Is it because they are forced to do so in order to get the music they want?

Interesting, and I am quite ignorant in that area. So much music, such a short life...

Dave

Dave, you could have a small understanding of what they play as I have posted about 20 MP3 I personally made of various bands for a sampling, all via this forum. A few have gone for a listen among the usuals being Craig and Allan, surprisingly enough (Craig does not like it but he has been curious). Others arent too curious which surprises me to a certain extent. I dont think Ole Dean has ever even feigned interest here. The only other person on this forum that has had some of the same experience with these bands of that era is Ken Johnson; we both worked in college radio stations during that time (I played in bands and also did music reviews in addition to Station Engineer - I recorded quite a few bands as well).

To answer your question, in the 80s, putting out vinyl WAS cheaper than anything else besides cassette (it was also WAY cheaper for the buyers!!!). And the studios and bands were doing VERY simple mixes with some of the albums sounding surprisingly good. As for the gear aspect, 98% of ALL listeners dont give a hoot about gear and have never even HEARD of half the stuff in high end, yet enjoy the music all the same IF NOT MORE SO. My girlfriend at that time had over 500 LPs and a simple Sony receiver with a Pioneer TT and some Boston Acoustics A-40 speakers. Playing firehose, Smiths, early Cure, REM, Replacements, Minutemen, Lets Active, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr, Salem 66, Mission of Burma, Miracle Legion, Flipper, Death of Samantha, etc etc sounded alive and well via her little dumpy system. OF course, I infused a whole different setup but the music didnt suffer too much through the vinyl mid-fi rig. A simple NAD 3020 and a Rega Planar 3 took it up 6 levels, however at a minimum cost (as in FREE to her). When we broke up, she had a VPI HW-19 Jr. with PT-6 tonearm... Heh... She was never the same.

I'll throw up some samples of stuff for you to take a listen to. It's an ACQUIRED TASTE to be sure and some is much more accessable than others. Still, after listening to this stuff, regular pop music sounds like it's made in a board room. A lot of this stuff was honest and had edge.

kh

Last "new" band I really liked was (is) Midnight Oil. Talk about an edge! It's the one I pin people to the wall with who've never heard 'horns.

I spent much of the 80's in the orient listening to Chinese opera and such. Kind of a blank spot, American culture wise.

And I'd be interested in sampling this stuff.

Dave

I scored today!From the Salvation Army, pristeen copies of a Glenn Miller double set, Chiago, Boots Randolf, a boxed Beethoven 7 disc set of the NHK S O(Japan),Jesse Crawford,a Glenn M. tribute by Bobby Crane,Al Hurt, a Vanguard Stereolab of Brams #4,Leonard Bernstein, Billy Vaughan and a two disc set of country standards all for $14. They all came from the same collection and are amazingly clean. None of them were there last Saturday.

Rick

No question the supply of excellent used lps is abundant. Other than 3 new Grateful Dead lps I got for Father's Day, I haven't bought a new lp in more than 10 years.

I have bought more than 500 used in mint or near mint condition for about 50 cents each over the past year. I figure that for the next 10 years or so the supply will continue to increase as more people give away their vinyl and I will continue to take advantage of that as long as I can or until I run out of storage space in my house.

5 years ago I had way more cds than lps. Now I have about 3 times as many lps than cds. Folks don't know what they're missing.

From the response here, don't bet on the supply lasting that long. Better grab'em now.

I spent the day downsampling my 24/192 recording to 16/48 for DVD-Video purposes. This is mostly a wait process, so I whiled away the time organizing my 78's. What a treasure trove! So many I hadn't played. I found some total jewels. Artie Shaw, Ella Fitzgerald, Pearl Bailey, Kate Smith, Bunk Johnson and his New Orleans Jazz Band, a couple of blues artists that tear your heart out and are probably totally unknown today, and more. I have all 400 or so roughly classified to genre now so I can do a bit more exploring. Some of these are so real and clean they time transport one to another world. I didn't listen to but a few as that always ends the process, but now I can do so at will.

Bit of a diversion, but, hey, it's my thread...

Dave

----------------

On 8/23/2003 9:49:44 PM Mallett wrote:

From the response here, don't bet on the supply lasting that long. Better grab'em now.

I spent the day downsampling my 24/192 recording to 16/48 for DVD-Video purposes. This is mostly a wait process, so I whiled away the time organizing my 78's. What a treasure trove! So many I hadn't played. I found some total jewels. Artie Shaw, Ella Fitzgerald, Pearl Bailey, Kate Smith, Bunk Johnson and his New Orleans Jazz Band, a couple of blues artists that tear your heart out and are probably totally unknown today, and more. I have all 400 or so roughly classified to genre now so I can do a bit more exploring. Some of these are so real and clean they time transport one to another world. I didn't listen to but a few as that always ends the process, but now I can do so at will.

Bit of a diversion, but, hey, it's my thread...

Dave

----------------

Dave,

The replys are from HERE, not the general public. I think vinyl will be readily available for quite some time, at least around here from what I've seen. I'll still keep grabin them up though. I just can't help myself. I do need to build some shelves and start organizing. Sounds like a nice winter activity.

Well, to support my suggestion. My best friend Ron (occasional LoneLobo here) came by with his latest haul from Half Priced Books and Records today. Some great stuff, but that isn't the point. Prices were up by about 50% and the manager told him that they'd raised prices due to demand. Firesign Theatre albums (and he got about 5) were 4.98 and 5.98 when they've been 1 or 2 bucks.

Still great deals and more to come...but don't wait.

Dave

Not much new I can add here. I have probably spent the majority of my music $$$ over the past 12 months buying used LP's, with the occasional new LP thrown in. Tone Poems I & II, and Nora Jones were the last new CD's I bought, and bummed to find out later that Jones was also avaiable on vinyl.

To be sure, there must be some impact of us vinyl heads on music sales. Frankly, though, I think the biggest impact is the lack of quality new music that is available for us more "seasoned" music listeners. Never ceases to amaze me how many kids are turned on to the stuff I used to listen to as a teen (Aerosmith, Zepplin, Stones, etc.). I guess Brittney Spears only takes these kids so far!