Dynaco ST 70 series II vs original ST-70

Deang

Yes, very light, that particular reviewer seems to me to be more of a journalist than an engineer/audiophile. He does provide some good information on the parts differences between the original and the Series 11 etc.. Hey! Ultimately either of those units is one sweet sounding amp!!

Where have I been?

Well. remember I told you we finally got DSL going at the house, and within two hours my PC was a hunk of worthless scrap-metal after getting ate up with the BLASTER virus. Oh yes, it's a wicked little thing, and this Cisco guy has just about no skill-sets with PC's. It sure is fun trying to get the latest Service Pack and virus patches when every time you connect to the internet your PC hoses up -- and this, even after my virus scan caught and supposedly cleaned it out. The system finally managed to stay up long enough for me to get Service Pack 4 downloaded. Once I got it loaded I was able to connect and get the newest virus patches without crashing. It took me 2 days in my spare time to get everything right again. Bought and downloaded both Blackice Firewall and Ghostsurf yesterday. Late last night I learned how to edit out the virus executable by going into the Registry. It would have been a nice thing to know how to do on Thursday.

Dean,

You're not really running without a hardware firewall are you? That's nuts.

Go out and buy a cable/DSL router (firewall) and hook it up between your DSL modem and your computer. As a side benefit you'll be able to hook up multiple computers and use them all on the net at the same time. Buy a LinkSys or Netgear. If you get a wireless one you'll be able to put wireless network cards in your computers and use them from anyplace in the house.

Zonealarm is free and superior in every way to blackice. www.zonelabs.com.

I'm a professional in this field and would be glad to help you with this stuff. email me at tmoble@cox.net if you want.

Tom

I only went with Blackice because it was the only thing I knew about at the time, and I was in a hurry to get something on the machine. I remembered it from a good review on it a couple of years back.

When we signed up for DSL I was told they had a firewall at the CO -- so I didn't bother buying another device.

Should I get an intelligent switch that I can load an IP into, and then run NAT -- or is that a bit much?

Dean,

>> I was told they had a firewall at the CO

yikes. forget that, get the Linksys/Netgear router. thet're cool, they will configure their WAN interface to look like your computer, down to cloning the MAC address off your NIC if necessary. Then, you'll have several RJ-45 ports to plug your machines into or in the wireless case, we don't need no steenking wires. Your local machine/s will have IP addresses in the 192.68.x.x range, these are not routable on the internet at all. The router will NAT the IP data stream on the fly, you never know it's there. This is the only way to go, IMHO. If you're really paranoid you can use Zone Alarm to limit outgoing access, that way you'll be tipped off if some trojan or worm gets on your machine from an infected email attachment or whatever. AFAIK, Zone Alarm is totally bullet-proof but nothing beats hardware. I don't know of any way to spoof NAT.

Tom