cd cuts out

kuisis

I have been having a problem with my receiver shutting down for about half of a second during compact disc play. I have a sherwood receiver(RV-1340r)and a Onkyo six disc changer. It doesn't happen when I'm playing the cassette player.

I thought it was the wiring so I went out and bought new connectors and 10 gauge speaker wire. That didn't help. What do you think? The speakers are 82 industrial La Scala two piece.

Others have reported something like this. It has been traced to the CD transport being jiggled by the vibrations caused by the speakers being played loud.

There may be some issue in the cabinet housing the stack of components (assuming you have this sort of thing, resonating).

One fellow moved his speaker to another room to test the theory.

I've suggested putting an inch worth of folded bathroom towel under the CD player to give some isolation. I can't say it'll work, but it is quick, inexpensive, and easy.

The ultimate solution followed by some is to relocate the components to a shelf attached to a wall.

In any event, I'm sure you get the idea and can work out some experiments and solutions for yourself.

Let us all know what you find.

Best,

Gil

Gil

Your suggestion worked like a charm. I put an old foam pillow under the cd and put the whole thing on a different shelf. I couldn't turn the volume past 9:00 without the cd shutting off before that, but after I put it up as far as it needed to go, about 11:00. That was where I could no longer stand the sound. Thanks

Tom

How old is your CD player? This may not pertain to you, but I thought I'd share it just in case...

A similar thing happened to me a while back with a 7yr old CD player... and it started jumping (temporarily shutting off) whenever the volume was a little louder... Isolating it also worked for me. Unfortunately as the unit continued to age, the condition got worse... until no damping seemed to be enough. From my disassembly of the player... the transport (including the CD and heads) seemed to be isolated from the case by four small springs. I could image two possible causes.

One possible cause would be the head moved slightly out of alignment so it could still read the disk but any small vibration would cause an error. The unit was inexpensive and used many plastic parts, little could be done to test this.

The most probable one would be that the springs weakened with age and replacing them with identical new ones would be the only way to really balance the transport properly. To stiff a spring would transfer any small vibration, and too soft a spring would allow it to resonate. Applying a slight pressure seemed to either worsen or improve the problem.

Needless to say, I was forced to replace (upgrade) the unit...

I should be due to upgrade (I mean replace 2.gif ) again soon... Guess everything has a silver lining... 9.gif

Rob

My unit is an Onkyo Intergra it was made in 1992. It's been a great unit. It is 11 years old so I couldn't complain if it went. I played it for a couple of hours at higher levels then usual and it didn't skip a beat. Just to be safe I will start looking at new cd's, any suggestions?

I must agree with some of the comments to the effect that this may be the first sign of the CD unit breaking down. It does seem that at least some older units, over time, don't track correctly and will not read all disks.

One earlier portable unit I had improved after I cleaned the lense surface that was open and I blew out things with liquid air. But eventually it died completely.

My brother in law's mini system has gotten cranky with disks which seem to be in good shape.

Some people have suggested the servo system gets less robust. Then there is the possibility of the suspension getting out of wack. Suseptiblity to vibration would fit into this picture.

Unfortunately, I've not seen any suggestions for troubleshooting the issue. Manuals are not easy to find and I don't know what they'd suggest in any case.

Gil