Help! New Thorens Buzzing!!!!

garymd

I just got my new Thorens TD-165 home today. The ebay seller pitched in half to upgrade the cables since one of them was a little loose upon arrival. I had a set of Pro-Flex cables put on but the ends are bare metal and with the narrow 299b rca connects they touch when hooked up. The sound is excellent but the buzzing must be dealt with. Anybody have a suggestion as to what can be done without replacing the cables, ie. rubber covers of some sort, etc. I've never had anything but stock POS cables on my TTs so this is new to me.

Thanks in advance for your expert advice everyone.

Are you actually having to force the RCA into the Scott ? Is the buzz out of one channel or both if only one reverse the cables and see if it follows the cables if it does its the turn table ? The 2 RCA bodies touching is not your problem there both simply ground nothing more. The problem is most likely a pour connection of the inner or positive wire ! If your having to force the RCA's into the Scott to make them fit it can actually move the resistors or wires that are connected inside the amp to or near the RCA. Just gently wiggle the RCA connections at the amp and see if it effects the sound.

Craig

Also Craig,

Yes, if I wriggle the connectors it does effect the sound. My guess is that inside the scott is where the problem lies. I either have to put more narrow ends on the cables or God forbid, put on an extension with more narrow ends, at least for now.

Hooked up to the scott. The sony has a nice ground connector while the scott has nothing. I tried grounding to everything possible from the scott to the sony to the EQ. Do you have to ground to the amp you're using? I didn't think so. Always worked before.

Gary,

1) Get new smaller RCA's for the turn table

2) you ground the turn table anywhere to the chassis of the Scott not the Sony ! The screw directly above the RCA jacks on top of the rear apron is the perfect place. In fact some Scott's came with this screw in brass just to identify it.

3) forcing the RCA in there could of deformed the RCA on the amp itself and maybe moved a wire or component on the back side. Does the amp stop making this noise when the turn table is disconnected ?

Let us know how you make out

Craig

----------------

On 8/25/2003 9:37:13 PM NOSValves wrote:

Gary,

1) Get new smaller RCA's for the turn table

2) you ground the turn table anywhere to the chassis of the Scott not the Sony ! The screw directly above the RCA jacks on top of the rear apron is the perfect place. In fact some Scott's came with this screw in brass just to identify it.

3) forcing the RCA in there could of deformed the RCA on the amp itself and maybe moved a wire or component on the back side. Does the amp stop making this noise when the turn table is disconnected ?

Let us know how you make out

Craig

----------------

I unhooked it and all was fine. I did have it grounded at first to that screw on the scott. No difference. Hopefully I didn't screw up the scott's rca's. I don't think I did. I didn't jam it all that much. I was pretty careful not to. First I'll try an adapter I have here somewhere to make sure it's ok then I'll get smaller ends put on the cables. I'm sure my guys will do it for free. I'm not much into soldering myself. Thanks for your help.

99% likely a grounding issue with your TT main ground wire or perhaps the phono wires from the cartridge. Your table might be subceptable to ground and RFI issues. Like suggested, get a GOOD ground to your Scott - keep trying other spots if one doesnt work. Also, try reversing the plug in your table. How is your gear plugged in? Do you ahve a three-prong plug on our table? This is more than likely a ground issue somewhere, you just need to find it. Make sure the ground wire is connected to the table efficiently as well. Move your wires around too, making sure all your RCA leads are away from the power cords (or crossing at right angle if need be, not parallel).

I bet it's a simple solution.

kh

Even though it's way past my bedtime I had to do more research. The buzz does move with the cable when switching. I unscrewed the ends to make sure I didn't have to jam anything in. I also tried the other 2 phono inputs and it does the same for all. It must be the left cable. That's a relief since I'll be able to get it fixed without having to touch a solder gun. The cable wasn't cheap but like I said, the seller split the cost. Thanks again everyone. I hope it's as simple as I think because it really does sound great.

I'll lay 3 to 5 that your problem is NOT the RCA jacks, but a grounding problem with the table itself. I am running THREE grounds on my table/arm. I am of course using the ground on the phono cable to the chassis of me preamp. I am also grounding the tonearm directly to ground and I am also grounding the chassis of the table itself!!! No hum, no noise.

Play with your grounds for a few hours before you run out and solder new RCA jacks on your phono cable.

Craig;

You putz!

My point exactly!

I prefer the side on the left of the amp to the rear.

Clean wire and surfaces.

HUGE POINT!

Avoid at all costs using large diameter male RCAs on your cables. WBT Locking...YUCK!

I bought about 4 dozen tiny Wireworld RCAs for this express purpose.

Craig uses another brand of male RCA termination.

Unfortunte problem.

Good Luck

Rick

Is there any difference between having the ground wire hooked up and NOT having it connected? If the buzzing or "hum" remains constant you have another ground problem to hunt down.

I can't imagine the RCA jacks causing this unless they are actually TOUCHING each other metal to metal.

You might also want to check the connections at the cartridge--not likely, but possible.

No difference whether or not it's grounded. The buzz is there on that left cannel cable no matter what. At low volumes it's hardly noticable but is annoying at anything louder than 7:00. I'm taking it in today to have the guy who installed the cable give it a closer look. I'm a good customer and they take care of me pretty well so I'm not too worried, just eager to start playing some of these hundreds of lps I've picked up lately.

I myself think its the cable of his turntable. It happens in one channel guys ! The Seller of the table replaced the turn table cable and goofed up somewhere along the line. If this was a grounding issue it would be coming from both channels not just one.

Craig