Help! New Thorens Buzzing!!!!

garymd

Craig,

Actually I had the cables replaced myself and the seller paid half. I'm taking it back today so they can fix the problem. They weren't cheap. Like I said though, I can't wait for it to work properly because it really does sound great, buzz and all.

I dropped it off at lunch and they'll have it fixed this afternoon. I think they suspected something because when I began the story, he asked if it was the left channel causing problems. He apologized and said it would be fixed today and they'd put on smaller cable ends. Maybe it was due to the left channel being the bad one from the start that made him suspect that but whatever the case, it's being handled. Thanks again for all your input and I'll keep you posted.

The buzzing is completely gone now. Apparently the high end cables didn't mate well with the Thorens so plain old ordinary cable was put back on and supposedly it's dead quiet. I got a significant refund also. Unfortunately we've been out of power since 4:30 yesterday afternoon so I'm taking their word for all this since I haven't been able to listen yet. We had a hell of a 5 minute storm yesterday afternoon and we're one of 200 houses in our county yet to regain power. Needless to say I overslept this morning and just got to work.2.gif

I got about 20 minutes with the Thorens last night before another storm came through and knocked out power out from 7:00 last night to about 5:00 this morning. What I heard was really nice (and dead quiet) but that TT is very sensitive to any movements in the room so I think I need to get one of those vibration mats. Any recomendations?

New avatar. Nice.

I have no room in my current stand for the TT so I bring it upstairs for the evening when I want to listen to lps. I set it on a piece of shelving on the floor in front of my rack. I just need the time to move some things around and create a spot for it. I have a custom maple stand for my components (it was custom made for completely different components 7 months ago - LOL). The tv (250lbs) sits on top. It has 2 sides. The left has my HT receiver (bottom), DVD player (middle) and CD player (top). The right has an Academy on the top shelp and the Scott on the bottom shelf (middle is empty to give the Scott breathing room). If I move the DVD in between the Scott and the Academy after I get my new fan tomorrow (to keep the Scott cool), I'll have room on the left for the TT on the middle shelf. I figure with a vibramat on the shelf I can somewhat improve the sensitivity of the TT. I think that's my only option. The Sony Receiver is too heavy for anything but the bottom shelf.

If you don't have room for a T/T wall shelf or dedicated stand and the Thorens HAS to go on a rack, then you should proably go for a combination air bladder/sand box platform. I have a dedicated shot-filled steel stand that weighs about 275 lbs and I STILL use the air bladder/sand box platfrom. They are VERY easy to DIY if you have any woodworking skills (I can send you some suggestions if you'd like) or you can buy something ready-made like this:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=BSG2BG&product_name=Gemini%202%20Total%20Vibration%20Isolation%20System%20in%20Black

Good luck!

I don't know if my stand will hold 275lbs and I know my wife won't go for a wall shelf or stand. I think I'll use a pad of some sort for now and when I finish my basement system, it will be a dedicated vinyl system. That way I can go for broke.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll check out that website Allan and the Feedback thread Larry when I have more time. Right now I have to get to work.8.gif