lascala bass bin remodel

rtaylor

"96: Re: djk's Improved Lascala (4.72)

Posted by Frode on 2003-08-19, 00:22:48 (213.239.120.26)

I've just tried this mod, and it really works. I only have LS bass bins, so I had to make an additional backchamber. The total volume is 4.8 cu.ft, and they are tuned to 30Hz. I also tried with 6dB eq ......."

"Posted by Frode ( A ) on August 19, 2003 at 09:52:28

In Reply to: Re: djk's Improved Lascala - what did you hear? posted by freddyi on August 19, 2003 at 08:54:09:

I didn't try organ music, but the extension is quite good. They certainly hit hard!"

Cool! Still have my 3D drawings of the mod. My living room is really only big enough for the Heresy IIs, but if building a pair of LS it would certainly be easy to make the mods during construction.

Marvel

if I wasn't spending so much time at work right now, I'd get the drawings on a web page.

I put this in my files last time you posted it. I'll be doing the top not the addition to the bottom so they won't look modified or gain any height. Also doing a mod to the crossovers when I can get that all straight in my head.

Any simplified contributions on either of these mods will be accepted and appreciated. The mind is a terrible thing to waste. Thanks, Randy

post-11998-13819248983536_thumb.jpg

I've gone back to the standard setup now. I only use the LS bass bin, so in order to get bigger rear chamber, I had to make them taller. This is a problem for me since I use the Oris horn on top like this http://www.bd-design.com/media/koo3.jpg (not my system!). The mod puts the centre of the Oris 45-46" above the floor(36-37" without the mod), which is too high.

I'm moving into a bigger flat next weekend, so mayby I'll try the mod again and put the LS on its side. This should keep the centre-floor distance around the same.

I also tried to EQ the vented LS, but I don't think I would use this in my current room, just too much. This would probably be much better in a bigger room.

If I had the regular LS, I would definately do the mod. It is cheaper and easier than getting a sub that matches the LS(at least for me, a RSW-15 costs around 3500$ here in Norway).

Frode

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the actual hieght this box for under a Lascala would be ? It looks to be somewhere around 8" from the picture.I have Industrial Lascalas with the seperate Mid and tweeter compartment so If I wanted to try this I would have to go with the box under the Bass bin. Which would be better anyway for reversal if I didn't care for it. Looks like a interesting project.

Craig

• 2 months later...

Craig,

This is a note from djk:

===

I'm looking for a total net volume of about 4.8 cu ft. I figure the stock back volume is about 2.25 cu ft. Call it an internal height of about 9" (22.5 X 22.5 X 8.70 = 4404 cu in = 2.55 cu ft). Two 4" ID by 10" long ports displace about .15 cu ft so 10" outside is close enough.

===

My own drawings that I had posted used two pieces of pvc pipe, with a 4" inside diameter. You can pick some up from HD or Lowes, some place like that.

Marvel