Any Idea's for a reasonable Sub with my set-up?

jagangjee

I am sure you guys are tired of answering these questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I guess what I am looking for is a good sub that will fit my system nicely? Here are my questions:

Is there a matching Sub out there that will match my system?

Do I have to have a matching Sub?

Any/All Recomendations?

I would like to keep the price relativly low, around $400-$500 nothing more. Looking primarily to use it with my HT for movies not for music. I have heard that the KSW aren't the best, but will I notice a difference? Should I go with the RSW or SVS? Which is better and why? If so what size, or will my KG4's suffice? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yeah, I would skip the KSW line.

If you like SVS, the cheapest (but by no means 'cheap' in any respect) SVS box and cylinder sub would be great. EAR will probably refer you to the Polk Audio subs - http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-Ekf2F3OG7bo/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=0&cc=01&g=133000&id=essential_info&i=107PSW505

Other people here will give you more and better feedback.

Honestly I would save a little while longer. If you have the patience to save a couple of hundred more you can have a wider selection including the SVS PB1isd, SVS PCi2531 or the RW10 or RW12.

SVS packs a lot of power and great bass for an extremely fair price.

If you spnd a little more on a sub you will likely have a sub that fits if you decide to upgrade your fronts.

Just MO

Scott

A SVS will not overpower your system. Ultimately, the selection somewhat depends on what kind of music/movies you like. I own a HSU and a SVS. With respect to music, my SVS 20-39PCi is better for louder and harder rock. The HSU VTF-2 is also modestly priced, and I think it sounds tighter for Jazz and other "softer" music. I would highly recommend both though.

Just my two cents.

----------------

On 9/9/2003 1:21:02 PM jagangjee wrote:

So I guess the best thing to do is to hold out for the SVS.

Will it over power my current system though??

Will it sound good?

Thanks for all feedback...

----------------

As long as you calibrate, any sub you choose will not overpower your system.

If $500 is a strict limit, then I'd look into a used SVS(check the for sale section at HTF or keep an eye here) 1st or the VTF2.

Have you considered DIY?

Here's another excellent option to consider that's semi DIY.

$299 - Dayton DVC15 passive sub kit

$145 - 380W Rythimk plate amp

The DVC15 will perform very similar to the Adire Tempest. Later you could rebuild or have someone rebuild a ported enclosure for the DVC15 and you'd have have output similar to a SVS Plus or Ultra. With the Rythmik amp you can also dial in different amounts of boost at different frequencies.

Another option:

$150 shipped - Adire DPL12

$145 - 380W Rythimk plate amp

$193 - 3 cu ft finished cabinet or $130 3 cu ft unfinished cabinet

This will extend lower than the DVC15, but it won't come close to the output(DVC15 can displace ~40% more air).

You could also contact www.acoustic-visions.com or www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com, give them your budget and bass goals, and they can build you a sub using the components of your choice(or they can help you choose).

Looks like SVS is the winner...

Need to save up a little more then I will order it. This thing better be worth every penny, I have never seen so many people salivate over a sub in my entire life. I hope I am happy.

Thanks to all who responded, it has been very helpful and very appreciated!