dropped a pretty penny on vinyl in KC

Randy Bey

Art, yeah I thought of the estate sale thing and did an impulse stop-by the other day. Something was whispering in my ear that I would strike gold there.

Gawd, was that voice wrong.

Unless you need a big ol' stack of Xmas albums, that is.

And yes, the Musical Exchange is in the area called Westport, famouos for live jazz, and a real uptown atmosphere.

Did the live jazz thing last time I was here, really nice.

Jazz lps are about the only ones I have a hard time finding. Big band is out there, rock, classical, soul, etc. I guess the jazz lps are more valuable and people tend to keep them. Once a jazz finatic, always a jazz fanatic. I struck gold with Benny Goodman a few weeks ago and did find some good jazz lps at 1 thrift store but they're few and far between.

Jazz LPs were pressed in MINISCULE numbers for the most part. A "run" of LPs for a label like Norgran or Contemporary was ususally about THREE to FIVE HUNDRED RECORDS. Some titles never went into second pressings--you figure it out!

Most Blue Notes were pressed in similar numbers on their first pressing unless from a proven money maker like Horace Silver, Art Blakey or The Three Sounds. That's why rare Blue Note titles from players like Sonny Red, Walter Davis, John Jenkins, Tina Brooks, etc. (each of whom only released ONE title) sell for CRAZY money. How may copies of "Out of the Blue" or "True Blue" were pressed?? 1000? Maybe a few more, but perhaps LESS! That's why I have turned up less than a dozen "rare" Blue Notes at "flea markets" and the like in nearly 30 years of looking!

Ah...those estate sale moments. So few and far between but when I do find something interesting, there's usually and entire collection with it. Its very rare that I'll find any decent jazz or progressive rock - usually its all either pop or classical. I've been to hundreds of sales and I can count on one hand the times when I actually found some nice LPs in excellent condition.

The first time I did, I didn't have a turntable and was going to use that as my excuse. The seller went inside and produced a fairly nice Thorens TT. I ended up with the TT, a Blue Point cart, and a box full of jazz and rock LPs - mostly 60-70s stuff for $25. My brother-in-law still has that table and cartridge - still works like a charm. I guess it'd take some of the excitement away if you came across nice LPs as often as you do corkscrews. Have fun, Bryan