eBay Academy Alert

DillonW

Hi,

Well perhaps now that we have the "...I'd pay $900" fanatics out of the way, the rest of us just might get a chance to own one for a reasonable price. At least the players vying for the two that are listed now seem to be smart enough to keep the bidding down with so many days yet to go.

I've been lurking the forum for several months. Ten years ago I had to sell my beloved Forte's and replaced them with mint '82 Heresy WO that I got on eBay for $460 delivered.

Now I'd like to incorporate them into an HT setup so I'm looking for the "perfect" center, (I don't think SWMBO will go for a third Heresy way up on top of the entertainment unit, which would put it close to the ceiling anyway). So it's either an Academy or go the home-built route, since most of you don't think that the current Klipsch centers would do justice to the sound of the Heresy.

Am I correct on that?

Thanks for reading...

moondawg, I agree that you should stick with a heritage centre to go with your heritage mains... as they do sound quite distinctive compared to the reference series.

It's unfortunate that a full size heresy won't fit... If you go custom, you can either buy the Heresy components and use a pair of smaller woofers in a custom cabinet or do like Don described and build an Academy replica.

Rob

Unfortunately the Academy is one of those niche products those in the 'know' hunt and resell.

I have tried some leads locally and was actually told by some vendor he has a guy willing to pay $1000 for any he gets in.

I should have known when I sold mine for $175 5 years ago and a buyer called the moment the morning paper hit and was at my house in 10 minutes with cash, I had made a mistake selling it...but I was in college and broke, I had already sold off my Rotel/Def Tech/Marantz system so one more speaker wasn't a biggie....I also sold a pair of PSB 300's(I think that was the model number) for too little, an nice asian guy drove 3 hours and brought his receiver to test them in my garage....opera and classical stuff...both buyers thought they were new. The Academy buyer even got the original box/manual....I was an idiot.

I will probably roll my own as the parts can be bought and I love woodwork. I just got done building a custom computer workstation (4' x 6' bookcase on one end, 5' x 30" desk in the middle and 8'x30" bookcase on the other end :)) and a TV console to get my TV the right height and store my AV gear and movies. My wife was impressed, I hate to think of what she thought the projects would turn out to be ;).

I was thinking of using the identical tweeter and mid from my Quartets and the Academy woofers though....I recommend if other's are going to do this to think about going with their tweeters and mids as timbral matching is important and the tweet/mid determines that. The Academy is the best match as built, but if you are making your own you probably can make it a little better of a match.

Now I'd like to make my oiled oak Quartets a lighter color and don't know the best way to do that....I like 'white' woods (pine/spruce) and light tans (alder/aspen/etc)...the oak look just reminds me of cheap furniture and stick on wood decals, to others it looks nice and expensive. With my mexican tile the darker oak isn't a good match. Lighter colors open up the room and the dark Quartets make 'black holes' on the wall.