Need real music - CD's like Dark Side of the Moon?

kenratboy

----------------

On 9/9/2003 11:10:32 PM kenratboy wrote:

As it is now, I have almost 100% trance, dance, etc. in my collection, and I really don't like to demo my system to adults,.

----------------

I know what you mean...I'm 41 yrs old and I like trance and techno...I just can't play it at work...the guys I work with just won't understand..there all metalheads...I have tunes by Oakenfold,Infected mushroom,Astral Projection,and to go back a few years...Tangerine Dream.. These are tunes I have to play for myself cause not too many others my age can relate to it, and not too many kids around here want to hear it..They just want to hear stuff like...The Junk you hear on the radio, or metal, like System Of A Down, KORN, or Disturbed...Now that I can't take...But, like the old sayin' goes..."To each their own".... And as for kAzAa...Thats where I herd of artist like Oakenfold, Infected Mushroom...and lots of others..If it wern't for kAzAa I wouldn't even have heard of them

It occurs to me that we're talking a lot of money here. It would take a lot of cash, and time, to listen to a sample of them all.

Let me suggest you pick one group which appeals to you and listen to series of the releases.

It would be difficult to go wrong with The Beatles. You'll be listening to a couple of decades of the music which predominated the times. The downside to The Beatles, The Doors, L&S, CSN&Y, etc. is that much of their work has been terribly overplayed on FM. Over the years they've gone from current to classic to oldies. You though may not have heard some of them the first and second time around; as I did.

None the less, a deeper study of one or two groups may be more entertaining than a survey of them all. You can find coffee table books at Borders which set out any given group's history. It might be entertaining to read and listen.

Best,

Gil

Edit: L&S should be L&M for Loggins and Messina.

----------------

On 9/29/2003 9:23:47 PM garymd wrote:

Gil,

Just out of curiousity, who is L&S? Maybe I'm braindead right now but I can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts.

----------------

I was wondering that myself. I wonder if he ment Loggins and Messina.

Any - some folks mentioned Yes. I have thier YesYears box set that came out in the late 80's. Quite a collection of some of thier best stuff - on four CD's!

Others to think of:

How about:

Styx

The Cars

Asia

Aldo Nova

Rush (Chronicles is a pretty decent collection of a lot of thier stuff)

Toto

Yes, you're correct. I messed up.

I also failed to consider, as others have pointed out, that many box sets are available.

Some don't appeal to me in that sometimes they look like expanded "best of". The original sequence is burned in my brain and any departure gives me musical whiplash.

Best,

Gil

I have to throw in a few cds by one of my favorite acts, The Orb. I've suggested the albums UFOrb and Adventures From The Ultraworld to MANY Pink Floyd fans and they've ALL loved these discs. I can only descibe this as some of the trippiest, colorful music I've ever heard. Crazy 3D soundscapes with a Floyd feel but an ambient/electronic production. Lots of NASA dialog/samples. Deep reggae/dub basslines that will shake your house's foundation. Psychedelic guitar work from 70's underground guitar guru Steve Hillage. Don't try to listen to a 30 second snippet on amazon. It WILL NOT give you the big picture of their sound. They even spoof Floyd with a lot of their album artwork. BUY THESE 2 ALBUMS. Try to locate a used 2cd version of UFOrb and avoid the watered down and edited single disc version Adventures...Enjoy.

ssh,

Thanks for the reminder about White Bird.

Adding to the list, Renesance and the Tale of Sheherzade (sp?). The female lead had perfect pitch and a magnificent voice. The guy is a bit flat. A nice bit of opera in the time of expanding rock.

Gil

Gil