LFE output from Harmon Kardon receivers

cjgeraci

I recently purchased a Harmon Kardon AVR 525 to replace my Yamaha 1300 (moved upstairs) due to the warmer sound with my Klipschs. I love the new receiver with one exception. The level of the sub output is noticeably lower coming out of the HK as opposed to the Yamaha (at the similar volume levels of the other speakers). This means that I have to turn the LFE setting up to +10 db on the HK (and the gains on the subs up high), and there is still not the impressive sub performance at lower or higher volume levels, as compared to the Yamaha. I have hooked both subs up individually (SVS and HSU) with both receivers and have double-checked with my ears and my meter. Same results.

Any thoughts or similar experiences? Are there any recommended external devices to boost the LFE signal (relatively inexpensively or maybe more)? I have a call out to HK and will talk to the SVS crew this afternoon.

Any and all responses appreciated.

HK AVR 525

Mains: RF3II

Center: RC35

Surrounds: RS35

Rear: KLF C7

SVS 20-39PCi

HSU VTF-2

1.gif

----------------

On 9/9/2003 11:19:14 AM dougdrake wrote:

Do you have the receiver setup to say Sub-Yes? Are the main speakers set to Small or Large? Are you sending bass to both the sub and the mains or to the sub only?

I know these are basic questions, but...

DD

----------------

The receiver is setup to sub-yes; the mains are set to small; and bass is going to the sub only.

1.gif1.gif1.gif

I would be happy to. I auditioned both the H/K AVR-525 and the Denon 3803 with various sets of Klipsch speakers. To me, the H/K is warmer (and more robust) sounding than the Denon with Klipschs, but that is my ear. There are a number of Denon owners on this site who are quite happy with the Denon/Klipsch combo, and I will say, Denon would have been a great second choice. (Anything to remove the earbleed of my Yamaha - again ears differ). There is a power difference between the two since the H/K is rated at 70 X 7 and the Denon is rated at 110 X 7 (and both manufacturers tend to realistically rate their amps). To me, the power difference does not matter much because even though I like to play music very, very loud and watch movies loud, the H/K has enough power to satisfy me. And the H/K will crank and crank for extended periods of time without a problem. Sure, it gets warm and the fan eventually turns on, but you cannot hear the fan if you are listening to music/HT at high volumes anyway. You get less overall headroom, but after all, we all have efficient Klipsch speakers.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this forum (and others) about the problem I had with my sub output. Per directions of H/K customer support, I set bass to LFE+L/R (don't ask, its a H/K 525 thing). I also split my signals again into both inputs on the subs and repositioned the SVS and HSU multiple times over until I had better overall response in the room. Situation solved! (Thanks also to the SVS gang, they are truly the best). My only other recommendation for you is to get a quality subwoofer (even an SVS 25-31 PCi or a HSU VTF-2 would do). Even with Reference 7s all around, you will notice a difference. 1.gif1.gif

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------

H/K AVR 525

RF3II

RC35

RS35

KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

HSU VTF-2

----------------

On 9/11/2003 11:57:13 AM cjgeraci wrote:

I would be happy to. I auditioned both the H/K AVR-525 and the Denon 3803 with various sets of Klipsch speakers. To me, the H/K is warmer (and more robust) sounding than the Denon with Klipschs, but that is my ear. There are a number of Denon owners on this site who are quite happy with the Denon/Klipsch combo, and I will say, Denon would have been a great second choice. (Anything to remove the earbleed of my Yamaha - again ears differ). There is a power difference between the two since the H/K is rated at 70 X 7 and the Denon is rated at 110 X 7 (and both manufacturers tend to realistically rate their amps). To me, the power difference does not matter much because even though I like to play music very, very loud and watch movies loud, the H/K has enough power to satisfy me. And the H/K will crank and crank for extended periods of time without a problem. Sure, it gets warm and the fan eventually turns on, but you cannot hear the fan if you are listening to music/HT at high volumes anyway. You get less overall headroom, but after all, we all have efficient Klipsch speakers.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this forum (and others) about the problem I had with my sub output. Per directions of H/K customer support, I set bass to LFE+L/R (don't ask, its a H/K 525 thing). I also split my signals again into both inputs on the subs and repositioned the SVS and HSU multiple times over until I had better overall response in the room. Situation solved! (Thanks also to the SVS gang, they are truly the best). My only other recommendation for you is to get a quality subwoofer (even an SVS 25-31 PCi or a HSU VTF-2 would do). Even with Reference 7s all around, you will notice a difference.
1.gif1.gif

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------

H/K AVR 525

RF3II

RC35

RS35

KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

HSU VTF-2

----------------

Thanks!

I am leaning towards the Harman Kardon right now. However, Denon seems to OVER-RATE their amplifiers while Harman Kardon UNDER-RATES them.

Click here.

----------------

On 9/11/2003 4:53:41 PM fabulousfrankie wrote:

Now you're sending a the LFE signal plus the bass from any speakers set to small to the sub and your mains at the same time. Is this what you want?

----------------

Yeah, I know. Harmon Kardon customer support told me that the LFE + L/R setting provides the most bass output through the LFE output. Could he just be wrong (or just "mispoke"? His recommendation does seem counter-intuitive. I know that most recommend setting your mains to "small" because then you are sending more clean power relative to the midrange, tweeter portions to the mains. I used to always set my mains that way (with my Yamaha). To be honest, there is not a whole lot of difference in the sound of my mains at high volumes with the 525 on either setting. They maybe even sound a bit fuller set to LFE + L/F. But I know, that's what the two subs are for . . . . . .

------------------------------------------------------------------

H/K AVR 525

RF3II

RC35

RS35

KLFC7

SVS 20-39PCi

HSU VTF-2

----------------

On 9/13/2003 9:04:16 AM cjgeraci wrote:

Yeah, I know. Harmon Kardon customer support told me that the LFE + L/R setting provides the most bass output through the LFE output. Could he just be wrong (or just "mispoke"?

----------------

The LFE output gets the same signal in both settings, but overall overall bass output increases because your mains are getting a full range signal as well. It's as simple as that, maybe that's what he was trying to say.

When I had RF-3II's I experimented with the different xover frequencies with the mains set to small and no sub playing. When set like this, I thought it was easy to tell the difference in how clean they played when switching between large and small.

What did SVS say about this, I'm beginning to think something might be defective?

----------------

On 9/13/2003 9:38:18 AM fabulousfrankie wrote:

----------------

On 9/13/2003 9:04:16 AM cjgeraci wrote:

Yeah, I know. Harmon Kardon customer support told me that the LFE + L/R setting provides the most bass output through the LFE output. Could he just be wrong (or just "mispoke"?

----------------

The LFE output gets the same signal in both settings, but overall overall bass output increases because your mains are getting a full range signal as well. It's as simple as that, maybe that's what he was trying to say.

When I had RF-3II's I experimented with the different xover frequencies with the mains set to small and no sub playing. When set like this, I thought it was easy to tell the difference in how clean they played when switching between large and small.

What did SVS say about this, I'm beginning to think something might be defective?

----------------

SVS said they have been told by some H/K owners that a poor solder of the LFE connection has contributed to a reduced bass output signal from the receiver. Actually, moving the SVS to a far left corner helped tremendously (previously it was in a corner behind the couch), and splitting the signal again into both inputs on the sub (and the HSU) has given me enough bass levels running both (and when running them individually and now even with the mains on "small.") I confirmed this with my trusty Radio Shack meter. 10.gif

Oh, and Tom confirmed what I already know. Even though my HSU is a nice piece, it cannot compare to my SVS. They both seem to compliment each other nicely, however (with one port plugged on the HSU).

----------------------------------------------------------------

H/K AVR 525

Mains: RF3II

Center: RC35

Surround: RS35

Rear: KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

HSU VTF-2

cjgeraci,

have you spoken to Harman about this solder joint? Have you asked to have your checke out? I had the 520 and never seemed to have a problem, I still don't with the 7200. If it turly is a bad solder joint I would think you would want to have that looked into. Just my 2 bits. 1.gif