Can I borrow the "Cornwall Vault" please?

BigBusa

Hi people ...I'm finally replacing my 1980 cornwalls. 6.gif I am going to sell them on ebay and would love to use the vault for fwdair shipping. Will it be availible in roughly a week? I live in Albany NY and the fwdair depot is very close.

After much looking and consideration I have found a pair of speakers to replace my Cornwalls. Not better or worse ...I just need a change.

Here they are ... P9060005.JPG

Heco lab 3 links. 4' tall, 140 lbs each, 13 drivers per speaker. Made only one year (1981) and sold for $2450 each. The ones I just bought are incredible. 1.gif

post-7446-13819249094104_thumb.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mobilehomeless ...exactly!

I tried the 600w dynacos with the cornwalls but the match was so far out of whack it wasn't even funny. I could not turn the volume on my nad 1020 preamp up to anything above .5 before it became to loud.

Afterall, the CWs have a 101db efficiency rating and are rated for 100w power handling. My amps are capable of putting out 600w in mono (in bridged mode) to each speaker.

These heco's have an 89db efficiency rate and are rated for 400w power handling at 8ohms. They're a much better match to my components than the cornwalls.

The CWs still sound absolutely fantastic and I probably will kick myself for selling them.

Here's the hecos naked BEFORE cleaning them up. The woofers are at the shop now getting new dust caps. Notice they put the woofers on top.

P8290001.JPG

post-7446-13819249094654_thumb.jpg

Congratulations of finding something you like better than your Cornwalls. What sonic qualities do you like with the new replacements?

I like my home built Altec system better than my Cornwalls as well, but I kept the the CWs anyway as a back up system, since my Altec system is tri-amped and more involved I only fire it up when I know I will be doing serious extended listening. I use the CWs for auditioning various vintage amps and currently have them hooked up to an Eico HF-81 that Craig (NOS valves) straightend out for me, someday if I find the right SET I will hook them up to the CWs as well.

C&S

A few questions. Why were these made only one year? SEcondly, did you actually audition them with those amps?

I used to play with solid state a lot a while back. The worst sound I ever achieved was BRIDGING stereo amps and running them as high power monoblocks. It was grainy. It lacked any subtle nature. It was LOUD without soul. The loudness was not musical at all and only served as a sonic mixmaster, leaving the music void of anything remotely appealing. It was, to put it bluntly, the worst thing I have ever heard. For some reason at that age, I thought more watts = better sound, more control, and more involvement. I couldnt have been anything further from the truth.

Two ADCOM GFA-555 bridged in monoblock form yielded the equivalent of sonic bombast.

I only wish you better luck. You now have 280lbs of luck needed. Hope it works out for you.

kh

ps-This was NOT with Klipsch speakers either. That actually borders on insanity! heh...

----------------

On 9/9/2003 2:51:36 PM BigBusa wrote:

Mobilehomeless ...exactly!

I tried the 600w dynacos with the cornwalls but the match was so far out of whack it wasn't even funny. I could not turn the volume on my nad 1020 preamp up to anything above .5 before it became to loud.

Afterall, the CWs have a 101db efficiency rating and are rated for 100w power handling. My amps are capable of putting out 600w in mono (in bridged mode) to each speaker.

These heco's have an 89db efficiency rate and are rated for 400w power handling at 8ohms. They're a much better match to my components than the cornwalls.

----------------

But you were so sure....

What about all that headroom?

3.gif

Here's a pic with the back off. They are german made and are just dripping with quality. There are 2 sets of speaker connectors ...one for 4 ohm and the other for 8 ohm. I've never seen this feature on any speaker before. The overload protection indicators and adjustments are all connected directly to a circuit board. They're infinite baffle rather than ported.

Sorry to sound like a doting parent! I'm just really jazzed about these speakers.

14.gif

P83000031.JPG

I have not had these hooked up to my system yet but I am convinced they are better suited to where I'm headed. I dig soul-less, grainy, loud music. 2.gif

post-7446-13819249096244_thumb.jpg

"They are just dripping with quality"

That's one way to put it. I am left speechless, my hands unable to type.

I only wish I was there for the first track! My only request?

Turn it to 11... Hell fire. Where's MUDVAYNE when you need it!

Advice? Leave backs ON from now on. No need to show this to innocent

bystanders.

Prediction: Head in hands in 3 weeks - Wave RAdio used to soothe...

P83000031.JPG

----------------

On 9/9/2003 2:59:50 PM mobile homeless wrote:

A few questions. Why were these made only one year?

kh

----------------

It probably sold only one year because the company supplying the drivers could not supply enough when these beasts went into production. Christ, how many drivers are there on those things? My computing ability stop at ten since I actually have my shoes on and my brain went into an overflow error.

Congratulation for this find. Watch your back and use your legs when moving them.

The famous Pomp and Pipes test requires the famous Pomp and Pipes record (a Google Search will quickly reveal where available). The test is pretty simple. Put the CD in the CD player, turn the volume to 11 (or a wimpy 10 if you havn't had your amp modified to go through 11) and enjoy.

If you hear some distortion, clipping or other nasty, put all of your stuff to eBay.

If you want to be a real audiophile (let me tell you that 600W bridged amps and those beasts is certainly a good start), you have to know the drill. Luckily for all audiophile aspirants the said drill is pretty simple. If it can't play Pomp and Pipes, it can't be good.

"'m quite sure that when the rear of the driver is enclosed completely thats creating an infinite baffle."

No, that is *usually* acoustic suspension. The movement of the woofer causes pressure changes in the cabinet which effect the woofer.

Infinite baffle is when the back wave from the driver has no influence on the woofer itself. Usually that means the woofers back wave is firing into a completely different (non reactive) space then the front wave.

For example this is an infinite baffle subwoofer:

http://diy.cowanaudio.com/ib.html

You can also have IB if the enclosure is so large that the back wave of the woofer has no effect but that is a lot more rare because of the sizing of the cabinet. The cabinet needs to be at least larger then the Vas of the driver... some say the cabinet needs to be 4x larger then the Vas to be a true IB.

Shawn

----------------

On 9/9/2003 3:22:33 PM BigBusa wrote:

I'm quite sure that when the rear of the driver is enclosed completely thats creating an infinite baffle. Notice how the rear of the mid bass is also enclosed (the wooden tube)?

No ports.

----------------

I'm also quite sure that 600wpc will sound hella good on CWs. Hear all that headroom? Man, those transients are sublime!!9.gif