WTB: ALK or Type B Crossovers for Cornwalls

No Disc

klipsch_alk.jpg

Please email Allan on the comparison between ALK and Type B (I assume you mean Type B instead of Type 2). Ebay has Type B come up now and again so it's always worth a scan. The ALK and Type B are a departure in parts philosophy but many like both. The stock B oils sound very nice to these ears. Used ALK for CW are HARD to find (see Allan's CW on left below).

cw_compare.jpg

kh

The other possible option is to replace the inductor in the B network with a Solen solid wire, 12 awg one, and also replace the capacitors with a 2.0 uF Hovland musicap and a 4.0 polyproplene(?) one.

I know Kelly likes the oil capacitors, but if you have one that is going down, the Hovlands are a good choice. Al K. recommended the above changes when I decided to redo my networks. I did not make all of the changes at the same time, the indictors and capacitors were replaced at two different times. I found the inductor change was the most substantial. At the time, I had the Cornwalls hooked up to an Acurus amp and preamp. The cost, about $140 US plus shipping, if you do the work yourself.

Not ALK's, but not $500 either. Another option to consider for those you want to make a few changes, but don't want to shell out an arm and a leg for a new crossover network.

Don

Tim,

I would feel privilaged if you let me build your ALKS for you. However, and though I am not an electrical engineer -- I am not too hot on the bypassing concept. I'm also not convinced the Hovlands are the best choice for Heritage either. The great majority of posts at the Asylum characterize them as somewhat "zingy". I also refuse to use the "grate" Solen caps. I prefer to use a mix of Audience Auricaps and RelCap Thetas. I would use Jensens if you wanted them. Of course, be aware that I can't tell "black" from "red", and so cannot assure that they'll be phase correct.3.gif