KG4s -- what is venting freq?

STL

What freq is that Passive Radiator on the KG4s tuned to? The reason I ask is because I purchase all the innards (the drivers and xovers) from a pair of KG4s who enclosures had been ruined (by severe water damage). I already checked out the parts and they are all fine! Smile.gif Oh back to the point, I am planning on building some new enclosures for these parts, but I cannot use the PR so I want to replace it with a port (since ports and PRs do almost the exact same thing). These enclosures will be placed into some built-in bookcases (in the back of my room) so I cannot place the PR on the back of the speakers (and there isn't any place else that it will fit). I do plan to make the enclosure volume of the new boxes about the same as the original boxes.

I'm hoping someone there a Klipsch can chime in, but if not then anyone with an originally boxed KG4 could do a quick test for me. You will need a freq. generator or a test CD (like http://www.autosound2000.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CD101 ) and a voltmeter or ohm meter. If someone out there has the speaker(s) and the equipment (and the time) please respond!

Guest BobG

Off the top of my head, I do not know the frequency to which the PR is tuned on that speaker. Contact Trey at our technical support dept. for the info.

I will mention that you'll have a VERY long port tube as a replacement for the PR. Also, do not use a narrow diameter tube as that results in poor dynamics and increased bass distortion.

Let us know how the project turns out.

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

Off the top of my head, I do not know the frequency to which the PR is tuned on that speaker. Contact Trey at our technical support dept. for the info.

I will mention that you'll have a VERY long port tube as a replacement for the PR. Also, do not use a narrow diameter tube as that results in poor dynamics and increased bass distortion.

Let us know how the project turns out.

Hmmm, long port length ehh? My idea might not work then!! I was going to use a port diameter around 3-4" with a curved outlet to help reduce port noise. Thanks for the Trey tip, I've talked with him before and he's a good resource! I'll drop him an email. I might have to give up on venting the enclosure and try a sealed box. I have the K-8-K specs so I'll have to crunch the numbers and see if that woofer is even remotely compatible with a closed box. I'll keep everyone update! Thanks!!

I have one more KG4 question:

1) The dimensions I have for the KG4 are 24.25"x15.75" x10.75". Are these the measurements with or without the little riser stand that comes with the speakers (that acutall not part of the enclosure)? I need the mesurements without the riser.

If someone with a set of KG4s (and a tape measure) could help me out I'd really appreciated it!

This message has been edited by STL on 05-30-2001 at 11:46 AM

• 6 months later...

Well, I decided not to mess with Klipsch's KG4 design. Instead I just recently bought some the parts from a pair of KG3.2s. The KG3.2s don't require as much airspace (cabinet volume) so their yet-to-be-built-boxes should fit much better in my built-in bookshelves.

BUT my reason for posting: I'm trying to determine if Klipsch's published specs for the KG4 (I posted them eariler in this thread) are the dimensions for just the box. Specifically, does that figure they give for depth include the speaker grills? If so, could someone tell me the depth of a KG4 without the speaker grill?

I plan to use my KG4 parts to build a pair of towers. This time I plan to retain the use of the passive radiators, but I plan to mount them on the side of the speaker enclosures instead of the back. This way I can keep the speaker more slender and make them taller instead.

When this project finally becomes reality I will surely post some pictures and details. It's been a long time coming, but I feel it's finally getting close to happening!