Give me wax

maxg

This forum waxes and wanes with the tides it seems. Right now though we are definitely waxing.

It is not uncommon for a thread that appears to be developing nicely suddenly and without warning degenerates into a name calling - my speakers/amps/CD player/cables/W.H.Y. are better than your speakers....

It is rarer, however, when a thread such as the one above returns to something far more palatable as is the case in another thread on this forum asking for a crate.

Personally I take it as a sign of the health of things in 2 channel but I have a suggestion to keep it that way.

From now on we should ban all obvious flaming to another forum which, for arguments sakes, we can call the "Pick a fight" forum.

That way 2 channel can stay all matey and helpfull whilst those that feel the need to brawl can do so in their own area.

Promising topics for the pick a fight forum could be:

"Why B&W speakers are so much better than Klipsch"

"Tubes and other distortion devices"

"Vinyl - why would anyone go there?"

"SACD's superiority over DVDa (or Vice versa)"

"CD - perfect sound for ever"

"Horns? Only in a PA system!"

"Superiority of multi-channel over 2 channel for music playback"

"Cables do/do not make a difference"

"Soundstaging and other myths"

"All amps/CD players sound the same"

"Equalizers - the essential element of any good system"

Bla bla bla - you get the picture.

The only reason anyone would believe that jazz sucks is they are not using the right speaker cables.

If your cables don't allow the pace, rythm and timing of music to come through undistorted, then jazz, in particular, will suffer. Music will lose it's life and inner meaning. I have found that Nordost cables, and to a lesser degree NBS, affect the timing of the back beat to the point where, say, Muddy Waters sounds like he hasn't had his morning cup of coffee.

If you think jazz sucks, please Please PLEASE be aware that you need to swap out your speaker cables for something that passes the life of the music. I'd suggest this as a good place to start.

If that doesn't work, the next place to start looking is the CD itself. Failure to paint the edges with green marker will allow the non-harmonic overtones to oscillate within the polycarbonate at a 2/3rds ratio to the primary, thus generating an odd-order distortion that will make jazz shound like sh*t. This is a simple case of blaming the message when it's the messanger that needs to be shot.

ray has great cables and NO sense of humor...my statements were examples of the type of thing max was refering to, humor, joke, remember those?...I happen to have over 200 jazz recordings, ranging from the 1920's to the late 60's and love jazz...LOL@ray....oh and " my cables are better than your cables!" (for those of you unsure...THAT was another joke) tony

Heh...ole Allan. As usual, Ray is living up to his avatar.

Tony, some of the banter is amusing and part of any forum, as long as it has some wit or humor. Some responses are more subtle than others and some are like bringing out the Brickbat... The brickbat is far less amusing and paints an ugly picture.

But it all adds to the variety.

kh

Who is going to break it to Ray that some people really dont like jazz?

Frankly whilst I dont mind jazz I tend to use it only for demoing/testing equipment as the recordings are so good but otherwise there are many other forms of music I listen to first.

Now if he had said classical I would, of course, agreed immediately. To play classical you really do need silver cables. Really really really - although copper will do at a pinch, or gold if anyone uses that, possibly some of the fancier metals too...but lets draw the line at plastic OK - never play classical music with plastic cables - it really wont do justice to the music.

Of course you might be advised to read my signature before ignoring this - and take into account I only have a few brief years experience in audio (almost as little as that guy that builds/modifies the bulbie amp thingies with newer wotsits, gizmos and whatever).

Oh look - an opened bottle of Glenfidich - er - bye

I'm certain there is an off the shelf technology that could be added as a module for the bbs software for automatic flame detection and then send a spike across the internet to the flamer's computer.

BTW, Mobile, I could use some help with my avatar. (This is no joke) I'd like to change to Picasso's Don Quixote and Sancho. I have this print on the wall in my office to remind me that it's o.k. if people think I am crazy. Klipsch Heritage folks are suspected of being a few bricks shy of a load. If they like tubes, then their elevators don't go to the top floor. Even more so, if they own SET, the lights are on but nobody is home.

On the Avatar, I haven't been able to resize the image to the 40x44 pixel size with satisfactory results. Any suggestions? Well, I mean, non-flaming suggestions and especially no anatomical suggestions. Thanks.

Dee

p.s. Tony, wry and dry wit takes alot of energy for me to read, also. I know I'm simple minded, but the smiley face icons really help5.gif

uh, Tony...

"...I saw no tongue in cheek..."

"...Failure to paint the edges with green marker will allow the non-harmonic overtones to oscillate within the polycarbonate at a 2/3rds ratio to the primary..."

For the record (is that FTR in web speak?) that was supposed to be tongue in cheek, as was the comment about wires...

And anyway, whose tongue are we talking about and why is it in my cheek?