Nice Pair!

Allan Songer

McIntosh MC-30 Tube Amplifiers - Ebay Auction - Ends 9/21

These are unrestored and not in use for the last 8 years. A variac is a good idea here if you want to keep the old caps for awhile longer. These amps seem to get MORE on ebay then on AudiogoN, hence the sudden rise in listings.

The last pair went for over $1500 but both had been restored with Solens and MIT caps. Like always, froots are bidding with days to go, driving the price up. Ebay has been around all these years and people STILL do this. Amazing.

kh

Yeah, more than a little touchy concerning the early bidders, although the word "froot" is usually an endearing term. That's the first time I have needed some sort of explanation on it, however.

As for early bidders, they do nothing but get the questionable joy of seeing their name online in addition to needlessly raising the bid for no reason. To see an early bidder in an auction sans reserve is a depressing sight and a sight none too rare, unfortunately.

It's no wonder ebay is a boon for sellers these days.

kh

----------------

On 9/20/2003 10:45:18 AM rtaylor wrote:

No, not in the mood for any amps at the time and I bought my lascalas with 20 minutes to go on ebay.

Again, froots? A little touchie on the early bidders aren't you.

----------------

When you're like us (people without lives) and have read some of Kelly's posts for awhile, you'll realize that it comes from an affectionate place. Kelly has a vernacular that requires time to appreciate, but once you get it, you'll realize that it is a very efficient use of prose.

The syntax is usually similar to the following:

"Heh ... listen up you (froots - freaks - droids) ... You guys make less sense than (Spanish - Martian - underworld) loons on (windowpane - fairy dust - helium) speaking backwards while running down the latest (Blue-Light special - free show at Wally World - free meal at Popeye's) in search of the truth ... as you know it! Heh ..."

See how well that works? Makes perfect sense to me ... and has a high emotional quotient as well.

For extra spice, add "ole Jeffus" with some of that French Canadian twang to stir the pot, wait five minutes, take hallucinogen of choice and prepare to laugh your *** off.

Cheap thrills go a long way these days.

The MC-30 is my favorite McIntosh amp though I never spent much time with the MC-75. Very smooth and liquid - similar to some EL-34 amps. My only complaint was that they were a bit light in the bass but that could well be attributed to the speakers (Bozak). I bought a pr years ago at a HIFI shop in Durham, NC. Paid $300 and sold them a couple of years later for $500 which I used to buy a MC-2100 - though I made out like a bandit. Who knew?! I also wish I had held on to a couple of Telecasters but selling them seemed like a good idea at the time. Still have the 2100 and Bozaks and listen to NPR through them every day with my coffee. Wouldn't mind finding another pr of 30s but $1000+ is pretty steep for what they are. Damn those collectors!