What is the best I can do for $1500 at the Good Guys?

Pistol Pete

I have decided that I want Klipsch speakers, I was approved for $2500 in credit at the Good Guys which will get me 24 months no interest as well.

I planned on $1000 for a receiver and $1500 for 5 or 6 speakers, I will get a subwoofer some other time. I have even considered just getting the front 3 channel speakers for now and later on getting the rear channels and a subwoofer.

What would you Klipschites recommend?11.gif

cheap reciever equals cheap sound, sorry. poor imaging, poor headroom, little or no dynamics for ht. you do get what you pay for. as far as speaks see if you can pick up a pair of rf 7's or a pair of rf 5's and an rc 7 for center? you would find that the sevens alone, or the 5's would make a better system in the begining than alot of smaller speaks. you could use the matrixed modes (phantom sub, + many others designed to be used with 2-3 speaks) after reading your post i see that you do anticipate upgrades, and unless you want alot of spare speaks like i had, try less (really more) and upgrade instead of becoming a collector, it is alot less expensive this way. because i did not ask this question before going shopping my son now has 5000 dollar sound system for his gaming, he inherited all of my first system as i upgraded12.gif

Your best deals are going to be on the used market, away from the very latest products. Someone on the forum has been trying to sell some Synergy Premier speakers. Those, coupled with a Denon receiver, would do you good. Hey, lookie! That's what I use!

fini

Yes, those speakers are expensive aren't they ;) Sorry about the mistype.

What follows is my personal opinion (of course), but the improvement in sound quality from going from a $500 Denon/Yamaha receiver to a $1000 Denon receiver is minimal. Most of the extra money seems to be spent supporting extra channels, extra features, etc. Only when you go to one of the better Denon's (4800 has much better amplifiers) for example or separates do you seem to get a big impact for the dollars spent.

Regardless, clearly the receiver is a critical component in any system, so the more money spent the better.

Regards

Greg

Although everybody loves the RF-7s, thats bit out of your price range. You could go smaller with RF-5s ($1500/pr) or RF-35s ($1000/pr). The Goodguys website price is %10 off list plus free shipping and no sales tax. I got my local store to match the website, although it took armtwisting. The website is not closely affiliated with the store, so if you buy there, you can't return a website order to a B&M store. You can go to the store and check out just about the whole product line, though.

Another approach would be to buy bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. RB-75s (which are the top half of an RF-7 with the horn and just one woofer) list at ($1200/pr), half the price of the RF-7s. I've got a pair and they sound great. I've never owned RF-7s, though. If you want to go a little smaller, I would suggest the RB-35s ($600/pr).

When I bought my center and surrounds, I got the 35s. Party because they sound great and are much less expensive, but also be cause the 7s are HUGE. As you probably saw, the RC-35 lists for $400 and the RS-35 lists for $300, almost half the price (and size) of the 7s.

So, if you go RB-75/RC-35/RS-35, you're looking at $1980. Thats what I did and I've been quite happy with it.

If you go RB-35/RC-35/RS-35, it'll be $1440. If you get RF-35/RC-35/RS-35, its up to $1800.

...and then there's the Sub and Receiver.

If you decide you like the RB-75s, I've got a second brand new pair that I can make you a deal on.

I don't know if your Goodguys credit account comes with free interest for your purchase, but if it doesn't check the interest rate because its probably HUGE.

David

autiger@pe.net

Front: RB-75

Center: RC-35

Surround: RS-35

Subwoofer: James Loudspeaker EMB-1000

Receiver: Denon AVR-38031.gif1.gif

• 1 month later...

My local Good Guys stocks both the RF35 and the RB75, so yours might, too. If so, demo them yourself and compare. I never compared the two. With a sub, I would think that you would be able to make up any missing bottom end from using a bookshelf. The RF35 is rated down to 37Hz, while the RB75 is only rated down to 42Hz. That difference wouldn't matter with a sub. There might be some sound differences that the numbers don't describe - maybe somebody else on the list with more experience can add to this.

The RB75 does have a more capable horn which is crossed over at a lower point (2000Hz vs 2600Hz) which may make a small difference in the sound.

One correction to my earlier description of the RB75 as the "top half of an RF7". The RF7 has a 10" woofer, while the RB75 has an 8" woofer that won't hit the bottom end as well as the RF7. Not surprising, especially considering the large price difference.

I don't know much about the Klipsch subs. I did once demo an RSW-12 at home, but didn't like it. It was too muddy for me. That might have been setup to a large degree. Other Klipsch people seem to like it, although Klipsch subs don't get much play on other HT forums.

I've been happy with my RS-35 surrounds. I am in a very sub-optimal arrangement, with my couch against the back wall and the RS-35 three feet off the ends of the couch, in the "corners" (not really a corner since there aren't any side walls nearby) on three foot tall stands turned 45deg into the center of the room. I will soon be rearranging the room so that I can hang the RSs on the side walls even with the couch at a high level. The seem like very versatile speakers.

David

Here's a novel idea...

Your Yamaha Rx 3300 is fine...just pair it with Some Klipsch Chorus 1's (used for $650). Then find a single Klipsch Heresy for your front center speaker ($150). To finish it off, buy a Level 3 subwoofer from Home Theater Direct (http://www.htdaudio.com/levthrepowsu.html) for $279

total cost: $1,079

This will be your BIGGEST BANG for the buck.

As you can see in my signature I already bought the speakers, I doubt I will feel the need to upgrade for a very long time.

I did get everything from the Good Guys and I stayed inside my budget pretty well.....

RF3IIs (last pair , floor models but were never connected or touched..it was obvious) $500 a pair

RB-25 bookshelf speakers for surround duty $360 a pair

RC-35 center channel $315

Grand total was : 1175 + tx = $1271.35 + JBL PB12 sub $300= $1571.35 .

I think I did well, I am very happy with my HT .

Thanks for the Advice David......I thought I was going to fall out of my chair last night when I discovered what WAF meant!! That is my house to the letter!!

Oh Well, like they say..."It's sometimes better to ask for forgivness rather than permission"

I hope the Klipsch system overides the WAF at my new home2.gif

• 3 weeks later...