DVD-A/SACD Technical Question

Jabez Scratch

I plan on buying the Pioneer Elite DV45a universal DVD player. It handles both DVD-A and SACD. To play either format, will I need to run both a digital (i.e., optical) and analog connection from my DVD player to my receiver or just the digital? If I understand correctly (and I do not claim to at this point), DVD-A and SACD run on analog connections only. Am I correct or misinformed?

Thanks in advance.

You are correct. You will need to run the analog and digital connections. The DVD-A and SACD formats should be listened to with your processor using the analog inputs. That is a nice player, my brother has it and I wish I had the DVD-A capability. I have a Sony and only SACD. It seems DVD-A's are more popular with more titles out. Enjoy!

I suppose it matters what kind of music you like.I have about a dozen sacd's,about 2 dozen dvda's.For me the biggest selection is dvda,although sacd is coming out with many new ones that I will purchase,I just picked up Frampton Comes Alive.I've listened to both formats for quite some time and neither is superior to the other to my ears.There are good and bad recordings and mixes.When done right either sounds fantastic.

i read that 1 format is better than the other. i disagree, i guess it depends alot on the machine you use, if it has seperate readers for each format, type of dacs, electronics. my 2900 makes all formats sound equally excellent, and it is really easy to tell differences since heritage is so telling12.gif