THE ESSENTIAL BEN WEBSTER

Allan Songer

When I looked for a Getz lp, I just tried to find one with SHINE on it. I think it was a compilation of some sort which was really good. I did find an lp of one of his later releases from the 80s at the library but I haven't gotten to it yet. It's still buried in the ever growing pile.

astrud.jpg

The face behind The Girl from Ipanema

Ken.... That is perhaps one of the most famous jazz albums EVER but is not really indicative of the BEST of Stan Getz per say (although he did a lot of bossa nova material). But it IS a GREAT album and a classic that most would recognize for the amazing voice of Astrud Gilberto on the monster single THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA. This became perhaps THE most recognizable jazz song along with Brubeck's TAKE FIVE.

I guess I will throw it up in its own thread... IT will surely get recognized by MANY here.

kh

ps - OK, I will throw up SHINE from Stan Getz... This in that other thread. This DOES deserve some praise and is a distance from the bossa nova feel of GETZ/GILBERTO

The story goes that Astrud Gilberto was at the session to translate the portugese into english. When Stan Getz heard her sing he wanted her to sing on the recording. Thankfully he got his way. Both Jobim and Gilberto were against it, saying "she's a housewife not a singer!"

josh

I want to ADD something about that recording above of Ben Webster doing TIME AFTER TIME.

On a REALLY good system with great resolution, the sax on this recording is almost PALPABLE! In fact, my brother heard it over here for the first time with tubes and Cornwalls and when ole BEN first blew his horn, my brother actually JUMPED BACK in his chair and then feigned wiping SPIT from his face. Heh... we laughed but it really sounds like he is in the room. That piano comes in rather tinkly and when Webster's horn hits the first line, you KNOW It.

Ben Webster and Associates is not really one of my favorite of his records but several DO stand out. This is one of them.

kh