THE ESSENTIAL BEN WEBSTER

Allan Songer

This list does not inculde his work with the Ellington band--Webster was with Ellington from about '39 through '43 (there is a great Duke Ellington box-set that chronicles this era, commonly known as the "Blanton-Webster" era of the Ellington band).and then again for a stint in the late 1940's. Webster was THE major soloist in this band which included Johnny Hodges! Webster could tear the roof off with BURNING solos ("Cotton Tail") or break your heart with the most soulful ballads you've ever heard.

When Webster signed with Norman Granz after recording a few sides for Emarcy in the early 1950's his career was in a tailspin--the only work he could get was in the JATP caravan and eventually he moved to LA to live with his mom and aunt. Here in the late 1950's Webster recorded his finest work for Granz' Norgran and Verve labels, plus one set for Contemporary that wasn't released until the 1980's.

Webster went back to NYC when his mother died and recorded one LP for Riverside (with a young Joe Zawinal) and another for Impulse and then tired of not working steadily he moved to Amsterdam where he continued to perfrom and record into the mid 1970's.

1. Soulville (Verve)

2. King of the Tenors (Verve)

3. Ben Webster meets Art Tatum (Verve)

4. The Soul of Ben Webster (Verve)

5. Meet You at the Fair (Impulse!)

6. Ben Webster meets Gerry Mulligan (Verve)

7. Ben Webster meets Don Byas (early 70's--can't remeber label!)

8. At the Renaissance (Contemporary)

9. Ben Webster meet Oscar Peterson (Verve)

10. Soulmates (w/ Zawinal) (Riverside)

Allan's listing are not only some of the best Ben Webster available, but some of the best jazz classics available period, Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson would probably rank in my personal top 5 on the list. Listening now to Music for Loving, Ben Webster with Strings (another Norman Granz conception, 1st track btw is Chelsea Bridge). If folks can accept the sentimentality of background orchestra (conducted by Billy Strayhorn and Ralph Burns) there are some excellent arrangements to be found, seems about perfect for a Sunday morning.

c69186i2u95.jpg

There are FOUR "jazz with stirings" I can listen to and this is one of them--it might have been #11 on my list!

The other three:

Charile Parker with Strings (OF COURSE!)

Clifford Brown with Strings (OF COURSE!)

Bill Perkins: Bossa Nova with Strings Attached (WHO?)

Perkins' LP was released on Imperial in the early 1960's and it is a GREAT Sunday morning listen--tough one to find, but cheap when you do, so if you ever run across it, I suggest you buy it!

Nice list. I will add a few as well with some pics of yours and mine.

Tad, I still have problems with the strings, even with someone like Ben Webster. I just almost never like strings unless occasionally it's with some female vocals, and even then, I dont prefer it. It's been a stumbling block for me forever. Sappy Strings and heavy organ have been my downfall since I knew I was alive (I love classical..I am talking with jazz). I have about the entire Count Basie discography from my dad and when I get into ole count on the organ, My eyes roll back in my head. I try as I might, and it does it to me every time. Heh....

And when the strings are with MODERN jazz, it really takes me down. That last Diana Krall with strings about made me reach for Maalox. I can barely take her in LOVE SCENES but the sappy strings release she did was especially bad. While I am on a rant, toss in that last Patricia Barber CD which, in my view, is one of most all time contrived sounding works I have heard in recent memory. HEll, even Audrey could barely bear it. The lyrics and phrasing sound like a junior in college trying to be clever and only succeeding in sounding like a name-dropping NYU grad.

Holy side rant. Back to Ben Webster... I'll throw some recs in here in a sec. Patricia got me all fired up... Billie and Sarah have nothing to worry about.

kh

Yeah, the ole B-3. You even did your part, remember? Like I said above, I have tried to give the ole B-3 and others their due in jazz. So far, it's met failure. Actually, I hardly like any electronic instruments in jazz, even bass, although bass bothers me slightly less. Still, give me the tone and character of stand-up bass any day. I dont even like instruments miked either. It really depresses me to when a show has the horn miked and coming from the PA system, which is why I really try to see jazz in small clubs. As for the organ, it's got several things going against it. I think it sounds cheesy as hell and the runs the orgain instigates, brings me to grimace. I like the natural piano so much better in jazz; it's almost not comparable. Still, I see what you are saying and appreciate it to an extent. It's just a sound that brings negative connotations more often than not. Maybe there is hope by 2010.... heh.

Just wanted to add the Mulligan Meets Webster cut "Chelsea Bridge" to this thread where it belongs. Again, this is a great recording and worth a listen as it manages to come through even in MP3 format. Both Webster and Mulligan were in great form.

gerry_ben.jpg

Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster - Hear Chelsea Bridge.MP3

This was recorded in 1959 - Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs recording is excellent - LP even better

kh

Patricia Barber with Strings (OF COURSE!)

Since she's married to the owner of Music Direct we can expect to run but not hide from future releases.

Been searching locally for a copy of Ben's Live at the Jazzhaus (German import) reportedly an excellent but often overlooked gig.

B00000AESR.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Amazon listing Vol 1

Amazon listing Vol 2

""""""""""""""""""""""""

p.s. found a used copy of Vol. 1 tonite,

Album Notes

Recorded live in Copenhagen, Denmark in 1965.

Late in his career, Ben Webster recorded a series of concerts at the famed Jazzhus in Copenhagen. They are all quite inspired and memorable, not only because of Webster's unmistakable sound and lyrical sensitivity, but because of the rhythm section that backed him up on these dates. Pianist Kenny Drew (the only other American in the group), bassist Nils-Henning Orsted-Pederson, and drummer Alex Riel all shine on this CD.

In particular, Drew's impeccable bop solos always offer something intriguing, Riel's four bar breaks are consistently colorful, and Orsted-Pederson's fat sound rounds out the group's appeal. Webster himself plays best on ballads such as "That's All," "Misty," "My Romance," "Londonderry Air," and most of all "Over the Rainbow." As you can see, there are many ballads featured in this set. Webster fans know, however, that the tenor legend never plays "sleepers." In fact, he is one of the most moving instrumental balladeers jazz has ever produced. However, for those of you who like faster numbers, this CD does deliver with songs such as "Indiana" and Webster's oft recorded "Sunday."

I just got back from ye ole library and borrowed a couple Ben Webster cds (among many others), Soulville (definitely) and Meet Oscar (I think).

I've only had time to listen to the first cut from Soulville but if that's an indication, I think it's a keeper.

I'll post more when I've had the chance to listen.

Go to the library folks! I can't stress this enough and it's free! Burn em if you like em or hunt down the lp.

A very, VERY loose blowing session with Coleman Hawkins, Roy Eldridge and Budd Johnson equally sharing the spotlite--one side of the LP is a 20-minute plus jam on "In A Mellow Tone." Not the best of the Ben Webster Verves, but still a kick-***, loose swinging record that you will certainly enjoy!

AT LAST - a Ben Webster thread. I am no expert at all when it comes to Jazz, but Ben Webster's sound struck something within the moment I heard it (referring to ballads) in which he really 'speaks'.

To the titles already mentioned I'd like to add:

Coleman Hawkins encounters Ben Webster (Verve).

The CD sound isn't that good - especially when listening to it after the vinyl reissue of Soulville, but I am sure one day Speaker's Corner will reissue it too!

Wolfram

----------------

On 9/29/2003 12:02:47 PM Allan Songer wrote:

"Since she's married to the owner of Music Direct we can expect to run but not hide from future releases."

I didn't think gay marriage was legal yet in the old USA. Maybe they got married in Canada?

----------------

so much for starting an urban legend, anybody up for essential Stan Getz? Expecting a mini lp paper sleeve CD version of Sweet Rain any day now..

c3_1.JPG

My commute was so bad today I had time to listen to lots of music. I mean LOTS!

I know Allan already commented on "Ben Webster And Associates" but I had a chance to listen to it today, twice. Let me just say it's in my top 3 of "got to get" lps. I love the 4 horns (3 sax, 1 trumpet) and the guitar. I thought it was fantastic, better (IM newbie O) than some of the others mentioned earlier in this post that I've also checked out.

Everyone has their own personal taste. I enjoyed every minute of this one.

B000004778.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ben Webster and Associates - VERVE

There is one song on this album/CD that just TOTALLY typifies the signature BEN WEBSTER tenor sound. That song is TIME AFTER TIME, and by far my favorite on that album. I think Webster really stands out with his ballads, and despite a few of the lads in here not into slower paced material, this is where the REAL soul lies.

Give this full 256k MP3 a listen. Listen to the breathy quality and moves of Webster's lines. More importantly, even for you guys that cant appreciate the slow stuff, LISTEN TO THE AMAZING TONE. This is pure TENOR. And be sure to catch the VERY END for a perfect Webster ending that NO ONE duplicates with the same style. Although Coleman Hawkins, another favorite, is on this record, this is BEN's SOLO. The Passion is great.

Take a listen:

Ben Webster and Associates - Time after Time.mp3

kh

ps- Just had a tech difficulty - wrong song up. Fixed now. I am tempted to include the slightly more bluesy number BUDD JOHNSON. That will be next for sample. THEN, some faster stuff. NO GLENN MILLER THOUGH! LORDY..... Dean-O, you managed to find The "JOURNEY" of the jazz world!

That was one solo that really took my breath away. Definitely one of the highlights of the album.

I think because jazz is sort of an acquired taste, beginners like me prefer songs with catchy tunes. One of the reasons I think I have taken to it the way I have is that I've always been into instrumentals with most of the music I've listened to. Being a Jerry Garcia fan and a bluegrass fan most of your life you sort of have to. I think jazz fans would appreciate good bluegrass if they took the time to give it a try.

I'm beginning to appreciate the more intricate material now but still spend more time listening to albums like "Something Else," "Kind of Blue," and "ZOOT!" among others.