Academy Luck

Flason

Sometimes you just have a lucky streak. A week and a half ago I found a nice pair of '78 LaScalas locally for $600 and today I find a black Academy at a pawn shop for $150. It's in good condition cosmetically but great sonically. It should match my '87 Cornwalls better than the C7, although I did think the C7 did a good job at matching. The first thing I noticed is the Academy is a bit smaller than the C7. I will post again after a good listening session.

It would be interesting to ponder the cirumstances of the fellow who pawned it.

I had the impression that pawn shops would know the high value placed on these, and other name brand gear, and sell them on e-Bay. Charity resale shops, I'd guess would be less mechantile.

But then again, I really don't know much about pawn shops. The only time I've stopped in to look for buried treasure, everything seems to be overpriced junk.

Congrats.

Gil

Normally, pawn shops have equipment that has little value or is in need of repair. I have been very fortunate to have found a few pieces of equipment in resonable condition at one of those shops. I have a Carver TFM35x that I was quite lucky with, however, I also have a Carver 1.5t that needed more in repair than I had purchased it for. I did get it repaired and will use it to power a SVS sub in the near future. I always say, if you are patient the deals will fall in your lap.

Strange, there is not a single pawn shop in my area. Vermonters must all be rich and have no need to pawn anything. I always visit pawn shops when I do get the opportunity to travel. There are a couple online that offer all their goods for sale on the net, others just list themselves with no ability to purchase anything. I just bought a DBX 14/10 Eq for 59.99, $74.99 shipped and offered it on eBay and sold it for $960 if they only knew.

There are lots of pawn shops in my area. I always stop if I drive by one.

Yesterday I stopped at one. They had basically nothing there I wanted except a copy of The Matrix. It wasn't in the greatest shape and had a $10 price on it. You can get it new for $14 at Target. I offered him $5 and he said no way. Bad business decision. I probably won't be stopping at that one anymore.

I find like anything else, it's hit or miss but most are overpriced and you'd be better off trying goodwill.

Nice find on the Academy though. That's rare in more ways than 1.