lascala surrounds

chambers1517

I have 2 khorns and 3 lascalas. My room is 14 wide and 21 long. I have my khorns in the front corners and the center lascala in the wall behind an acoustically transparent screen. I have it raised to where the tweeters are even across the front. I also built boxes for the rear lascalas so all 5 speakers are even. My problem is I can only use the rears on the back wall. I have 2 doors on the left side wall. One is about 24 inches from the rear corner and I have another door about 3 more feet toward the front. Should I put the rears in the rear corners angled toward the center or on the back wall pointing straight ahead. Also is this the best height to use or should they be raised more and angled down. I Recently purchased a Harmon Kardon 7200. The front soundstage is incredible but I don't seem to getting much from thr rear. I sit about 8 feet from the back wall.

I once built cabinets to set my rear LaScalas on. The cabinets were tall enought so that when the LaScalas were upside down the bottom of the speaker would be just shy of touching the ceiling.

I had them in the rear corners and aimed so they crossed just behind my head when sitting in the sweet spot. I found this to work well. It puts the tweeters and midrange over your head which is good,and has the bass horn on the ceiling for better bass reproduction.

Strange, I have that very same speaker array and I don't have any of them elevated and it sounds great. I don't have any loss of volume in the rear, however if you are taking about during watching a movie in DTS/DD there will not be a whole lot coming from the rear unless their is content their for them to reproduce. I did adjust my Denon AVR-4800 to account for distance to listener, and I also tweeked all the channel volume levels so that things were as seamless as possible. With that speaker array you should be hearing alot!

put em in the corners and toe them in a bit...and like Q-Man mentioned, you will get better bass response mounting the lascalas high and upside down. (for both the center channel and the rears). the reason for this is boundary cancelation.

however, the cancelation might help unmuddy things when you're dealing with 5 speakers...i know they're big beasts, but really the best method is to move them around and see where they sound the best.

but to answer your question, the corners sound like the best option (but that's only my opinion) 1.gif

Chambers.

I think your main problem is what the previous poster recomends, that your rear SPL is not calibrated right. Get a rat shack hand held.

I have found that having the rears and side speakers elivated over your head angled downward to your listening area gives you a better surround sound as well as the full range sound given only by full size floor standing speakers. I have mine mounted as high as I can in the ceiling / wall corner angled downward.

JM