Denon AVR-3801?

The Dome

I am considering getting a new reciever, currently I have a Denon AVR-1700 that I am very happy with. The new 6.1 formats out intrigue me though. The Denon AVR-3801 looks pretty good to me. I was wondering how any owners felt about theirs, has anyone had any problems with it? I really love the Denon I have now. Would it be to powerful to go with my speakers: Klipsch SF-2, SB-2, SC-1? How about the Klipsch KSB 1.1 that are sitting on the shelf now that I would use for back surrounds? Any opinions would be appreciated. I use my system with both music and home theater. The DTS Neo 6 sounds pretty interesting. I have yet to demo one, was curious if it would be to much for what I already have.

Mains: Klipsch SF-2

Center: Klipsch SC-1

Surrounds: Klipsch SB-2

Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics PV-600

Reciever: Denon AVR-1700

CD Player: Denon DCM-370

DVD Player: Sony DVP-S360

MiniDisc: Sony MDS-JB940

VCR: Sony SLV-790HF

No personal experience with the 3801. However, I have its predecessor (the 3300) and I've read some posts from those who have the 3801. I think the 3300 is great, and the posts on the 3801 have all been positive. The 3801 packs a lot into a relatively low-price receiver. I like to say it is like a 5800 in sheep's clothing.

It will not be too much power for what you have. Speakers are usually blown by getting lousy input from a receiver that is straining to power them. You're better off throttling back a high-power amp than straining a low-power one.

Doug

Go for it,stepped up from a 2800 to the 3801 and love it.Yes the NEO:6 is great,I like it over pro-logic.It sends 20 to 20K to all speakers instead of cutting cutting off what goes to the surrounds.6.1 does a great job on all DVD stuff.You can find them on the net for $800 or so.Problems?Nope,still have the AVR-2000 that's 5 years old and use a 2800 in the bedroom driving almost the same speakers you have.I dare say you won't be disappointed.cwm4.gif

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.Dish Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Bed room HT:KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

dooooo eeeeetttttttttttt

denon has done fab things with the 5/7 channel stereo, and the neo:6 stuff is fun as well. the 3801 is a very happy reciever, dtsES is supa spiffy!. i had my scope on that one for a long time till i slipped and took the 5800 (cuz THX EX is supa spiffy too!) Smile.gif

(yes, i love my denon, i love my klipsch, and when i can have my mother over for dinner and sit her down to watch a movie, and she ducks, dodges, and hides because she heard something screaming out from behind and left of her, i have done something good *evil grin*)

• 4 weeks later...

I think the 3801 is a great Receiver for the money. Matched with the right Speakers or in the right size room. Depending on your listening habits.

I hated the 3801 with my Klipsch Speakers though, (KLF-10's, KG 5.5's and 2 Klf-C7's). My brother tried one with his Klipsch, (4 KLF-30's and 2 KLF-C7's) and hated it even more than I did.

Note: We both have large rooms and like our music loud and dynamic. The 3801 was bright and tiresome to listen to after a short period of time.

We have Denon 5800's now. They are unbelievable. The price shows it though.

Disclaimer: I apologize to you Folks that like the 3801 with your Klipsch Speakers. These are just my opinions. Don't take it personal. Your mileage may vary.

Jack

I have recently (less then a month ago) purchased the Denon 3801 with the Klipsch Reference 3 speakers. Personally, i love the system, but i have noticed a few things...(system is in a small room 12 x 20 ft)

If the system is going to be used for DVDs...its fantastic for DVDs!

If you mainly listen to music, imho it really depends on what style!!!

I love classical music, and the crisp highs and mid's are a great combo.

However, if you listen to rock music, a strong base is usually desired and I find the Denon and Klipsch combo lacking in this area. I usually find the base not ballanced with the mids & highs and often muddled compared to the other freq. This could be because i'm still tweeking my system.

My recomendation is get a demo that you can take home and listen to in your home and with your speakers....

-DrPyro

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

well i do listen to that rock & as jack & dr. point out

that's pretty much why i went w/ the marantz sr-8000 over the denon 3300/3801 in a/b w/ the klf-30. i felt the marantz had that bass foundation & was a warmer sound on the mids & highs. just my pref though as some

may really like that klf-30 zing or scream on their highs.

& if it would have been for my rf-3, it probably would have been a denon.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!